Matt's Reviews > Snow White

Dec 11, 09

bookshelves: taditional-liturature
Read in December, 2009

Recommended for grades 2nd-4th
This edition of the “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”, is much, much darker than the Disney version that most people my age have grown up with. The Queen repeatedly asks the mirror on the wall,” Mirror, mirror on the wall, Who is the fairest of us all?” She had always received the answer she wanted, until Snow White turned seven, and the mirror has to answer truethfully says, “Snow White”. This enrages the Queen and she turned green with envy, then commands that Snow White be brought to her “lung and liver as a token”.
The illustrations in this version of “Snow White”, are large and take up one entire page. They are very detailed, but dark in color. I believe this was done to symbolize the Queens intentions for Snow White. I thought the style in which the text was written was very interesting. On some pages the text takes up the entire page or even two, with no illustration and on other pages there may only be one paragragh. The text may be a little challenging for a 2nd grade student, but with a little help should be able to enjoy this book.
I would use this book in Language Arts class to compare different version of the same story. I think that this would be a good way to expand the minds of 3rd graders and give them a sense that most fair tales do not originally come from Disney and many of them are very dark in comparison. I really enjoyed this book and gave it a 5 out of 5.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow White.