Lydia Presley's Reviews > Very Valentine

Dec 11, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: chick-stuff, fiction, italy
Read in December, 2009

Like Valentine, in Adriana Trigiani's Very Valentine, I'm also a 33 year old woman. However, I cannot imagine myself being put into the situation that Valentine found herself in.

This book is about a woman who fights and loves with her family, her relationships and her career/tradition. Trigiani sets up the story with a cast of characters that are full of life and their own distinct personalities - between Alfred the stoic (and somewhat boring) brother, the romantic but aloof Roman and the thoroughly loveable Gram.

There's a little bit of something in this book for every gal looking for a good, light-hearted read. Lots of talk about food, gardening, shoes and then more shoes, fashion, Italy and Italian men. There's family arguments and tension, and then the forgiveness and acceptance that inevitably follows through the cycle.

I will say one part I really didn't like about the book was the Trigiani's promotion of her own book/movie, Lucia Lucia. I dislike when authors feel the need to promote within their own books and this wasn't an exception for me.

Overall though, a very fun read with a strong female lead character and an ending that was incredibly satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Very Valentine.