Hilda's Reviews > The Demon's Lexicon

The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan

Jul 08, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, owned, let-s-play-detective, magic
Read from July 02 to 05, 2010

The Demon’s Lexicon is unique, imaginative story sets in paranormal world. In this wonderful debut, Sarah Rees Brennan takes us to the world where devils live, and magicians would do anything to have devil’s power. Nick and Alan Ryves, along with their mother, are used to running from the magicians.

Nick Ryves is the ultimate bad boy. He’s handsome, dark, and definitely dangerous. Girls are falling over him, tough Nick doesn’t care much about them. Well, he has much more things to pay attention. Including protecting his older brother, Alan Ryves –– the exact opposite of Nick. Polite and nice to everyone, Alan has always been the reason of Nick’s concern. Nick has always relied on Alan to make the right choices and protect their little family. He practically would do anything to protect Alan. But when it becomes obvious that Alan may be keeping secrets from him, Nick is set on a path that will lead him to the startling truth about his family… and himself.

What I love most is the relationship between Nick and Alan. I admire the way they care about each other. I’m sure that no matter what happens, Nick would always be there for Alan. And Alan would do the same thing too.

“I’ll protect you,” Nick said at last, awkwardly. He felt stupid saying it; Alan already knew that he would.

Alan looked a little steadier, all the same. “I’m counting on it.”

“Good,” said Nick. “You’ll be okay. I’ll protect you. Don’t—don’t be upset anymore.”

Alan made a soft sound, trembling between a breath and a laugh. “I’m not upset.”

“You liar,” Nick mumbled.

Alan stroked his hair just once, and then drew his hand away. “I’m okay now,” he said. “Really.”

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon's Lexicon.

07/02/2010 page 170