Syrup's Reviews > Middlesex

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

Dec 10, 09

bookshelves: favorites

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Middlesex.

Quotes Syrup Liked

Jeffrey Eugenides
“Biology gives you a brain. Life turns it into a mind.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“The essential matrimonial facts: that to be happy you have to find variety in repetition; that to go forward you have to come back to where you begin.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“I live my own life and nurse my own wounds. It's not the best way to live. But it's the way I am.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“Emotions, in my experience, aren't covered by single words. I don't believe in "sadness," "joy," or "regret." Maybe the best proof that the language is patriarchal is that it oversimplifies feeling. I'd like to have at my disposal complicated hybrid emotions, Germanic train-car constructions like, say, "the happiness that attends disaster." Or: "the disappointment of sleeping with one's fantasy." I'd like to show how "intimations of mortality brought on by aging family members" connects with "the hatred of mirrors that begins in middle age." I'd like to have a word for "the sadness inspired by failing restaurants" as well as for "the excitement of getting a room with a minibar." I've never had the right words to describe my life, and now that I've entered my story, I need them more than ever. ”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“But in the end it wasn't up to me. The bigs things never are. Birth, I mean, and death. And love. And what love bequeaths to us before we're born.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“Sourmelina's secret (as Aunt Zo put it): 'Lina was one of those women they named the island after.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“We're all made up of many parts, other halves. Not just me.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“Historical fact: People stopped being people in 1913. That was the year Henry Ford put his cars on rollers and made his workers adopt the speed of the assembly line. At first, workers rebelled. They quit in droves, unable to accustom their bodies to the new pace of the age. Since then, however, the adaptation has been passed down: we've all inherited it to some degree, so that we plug right into joy-sticks and remotes, to repetitive motions of a hundred kinds.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“Now all the mute objects of my life seem to tell my story, to stretch back in time, if I look closely enough. ”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“Regret, already sogging me down, burst its dam. It seeped into my legs, it pooled in my heart.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“The humming of my parents' voices from behind my bedroom wall, which throughout my childhood had filled me with a sense of security, had now become a source of anxiety and panic.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“The television replaced the sound of conversation that was missing from my grandparents' lives.”

Jeffrey Eugenides
“The mind self-edits. The mind airbrushes. It's a different thing to be inside a body than outside. From outside, you can look, inspect, compare. From inside there is no comparison.”