Jesse's Reviews > Snake Agent

Snake Agent by Liz Williams

Jun 05, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: utter-tripe, detective-mystery, espionage-action, modern-fantasy
Read in January, 2009

The concept of this book is awesome, but the execution is lacking in something. Frankly this book suffered from most of the same problems I had with Kim Harrison's first book. It tries to be too much all at once. Not only is it a police detective for the supernatural/metaphysical world, but this is also some kind of near future cyberpunk-esque world, and neither aspect of the world is handled with any kind of depth or subtlety.

The main characters are cookie-cutterish at best, and the plot was something I saw coming from a mile away. I couldn't finish reading this book, and that is its worst crime of all. I don't like not finishing a book, but the difference from what I read on the back of this book, to what I read inside this book was SO great I couldn't stand it. This plot and world could have been great, instead it comes off like a book written by some one who's primary occupation in life is running a eastern/western magick shop and thought it would be cool to include some of the metaphysical stuff they know about in there ham-fisted attempts at amateur writing. This book gets shunted into the utter tripe shelf, to hang out with such greats as Stephanie Meyer and Jim Butcher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snake Agent.

12/10/2009 page 137
51.89% "not sure if I'm going to finish this thing. Its too predictable so far."