Brayden's Reviews > The Adventures of Augie March

The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow

Dec 10, 09

Read in December, 2009

This book goes on my favorite books of all time list. It took me a while to catch the spirit of it but once I got into the rhythm of the storytelling, I was hooked. The story is about a young Jewish man, Augie March (of course), who is growing up in pre-Depression era Chicago, living with his forceful, stern grandmother, troubled mother, and two brothers. Rather than following a linear plot, the book relates a sequence of events of Augie turning into a man. The book is ultimately about discovering one's self through lots of work, work, work (as he describes it later in the book).

My favorite sequence was his visit to Mexico with his girlfriend Thea. They move to a small town in Mexico to train a bald eagle to kill lizards, which they eventually hope to write up and shop as a story to National Geographic. His stay in Mexico varies between funny, amusing, and tragic. The book also has the best break-up scene I've ever read.

Saul Bellow is a great writer. At times he probably tells us a little too much, but it's always done artfully.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Augie March.