Reid's Reviews > The Knowledge of the Holy

The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer

Dec 10, 09

bookshelves: christian-living, christian-ministry-general, spiritual-disciplines
Recommended to Reid by: teachers in Bible school, Chip Ingram in a recent DVD
Recommended for: those who are confused about God; those who want a fresh look at God
Read in December, 2009, read count: 4

"What comes to mind when we think about God is the most important thing about us."

Tozer believed that the reason for the decline and weakness of the church laid square in the lack of solid understanding of God and His attributes.

"The decline of the knowledge of the holy has brought on our troubles. A rediscovery of the majesty of God will go a long way toward curing them. It is impossible to keep our moral practices sound and our inward attributes right while our idea of God is erroneous or inadequate. If we would bring back spiritual power to our lives, we must begin to think of God more nearly as He is."

The twenty three chapters of the book take an attribute and explain that attribute in relation to all the other attributes.

"The divine attributes are what we know to be true of God. He does not possess them as qualities; they are how God is as He reveals Himself to His creatures.

"All of God's acts are consistent with all of His attributes."

"God, being who He is, cannot cease to be what He is, and being what He is, He cannot act out of character with Himself."

I liked the way the author explained his points. I liked his style, I liked the content. This is another book to read and re-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knowledge of the Holy.