Allie's Reviews > The Winter Mantle

The Winter Mantle by Elizabeth Chadwick

1910967
Oct 11, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction, wishlist, library-borrowed, 2010-reads, medieval
Read from September 11 to October 10, 2010

1067-1098. Primarily Normandy & England.

This EC book is a multigenerational love story set in the reign of William the Conqueror and William Rufus. I really enjoyed the story but I think the first half was slow at a couple points. The second half with daughter of the first couple, Maltilda, was much more intriguing for me anyways. I can never get over how well EC writes human relationships and slips in so many details of the time period. I especially liked the details of Simon's crusade and the ending of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter Mantle.

09/15/2010 page 45
9.0% "I think football season is going to severely cut into my reading time."
09/22/2010 page 75
15.0% "Juggling between football and reading is tough. Plus I had a college roomate in town this past weekend. Love this book so far and should hopefully get some reading done in the next couple days."
10/06/2010 page 371
72.0% "'We are all ridden by demons.' he said. 'We live with them as best we can and hope one day to throw them off.' He cupped her cheek on the side of his hand & kissed her. 'We live with each other's demons too,' he added softly. 'And perhaps that is the most difficult endurance of all.' I like Maltilda & Simon better than Judith & Waltheof. Work has been super busy & I had an unexpected long visit from my mom in law."
10/08/2010 page 418
82.0% "Simon goes on crusade, but will he make back to England alive?? Hope to finish up Saturday!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Misfit That itty bitty baby at the very end is the MC for Falcons of Montabard.

Allie ohhh I see. Hmm that one looks like it will be moved up on the TBR now. ;)

message 3: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara and Sharon Penman , if you haven't read her. Fabulous and same period.

Allie I own all of her books, just haven't dug into them yet. I think over the holidays this year they will be a nice treat!

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane Didn't like the ending, thought it ended too bluntly, Matilda certainly let Simon off lightly for his adultery.