★ Jess 's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Jan 08, 15

bookshelves: books-i-own, 5-star-excellent, read-in-2010, special-top-favorites-♥
Read in January, 2015, read count: Countless times

Originally my review was a comparison of Harry Potter and Twilight. However, this is so stupid as the two are incomparable. Twilight does not even come close. To quote Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction: "It ain't the same fuckin' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fuckin' sport."
There was a day when I thought I needed to defend Harry Potter, in the midst of the now dead Twilight craze, and you can see that just below:

A note in regard to the on-going Potter vs Twilight debate:

Go ahed, tell me Twilight is better.
Tell me that James is scarier than Voldemort,
That the Cullens are a better family than the Weasly's
That Edward is cooler than Harry,
and Bella is smarter than Hermione.
Tell me that Stephenie Meyer is more talented than J.K. Rowling.

Go ahead,
I dare you.

Those who think the topic of Harry Potter or Twilight is worth debating and arguing over,
are utterly stupid.

Quite frankly-this book is amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

Quotes ★ Jess Liked

J.K. Rowling
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

J.K. Rowling
“To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

10/22/2010 page 10
4.0% "First re-read of 2010. Trying to get all 7 Potter books done before seeing the movie :)" 7 comments
show 1 hidden update…

*Queen Diva* And quite frankly, they're two completely separate books that have absolutely nothing in common so why do people compare and pick a side?

(and just for the record, I think Harry is WAAAAY cooler than Edward and I think pretty much everyone under the sun is smarter than Bella :-p)

message 2: by Joyzi (last edited Feb 13, 2011 02:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joyzi They're being compared because they're both popular and best sellers. I remember one blog in Yahoo News comparing the Eclipse sales to the Deathly hallows sales

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Agreed! Awwwwesome review.

message 4: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara I feel like I am odd for liking both twilight and harry potter. They are two different stories, you really can't compare them.

Casey I agree with you completely

Erin Lanning AGREED!

message 7: by Arthur (new)

Arthur Alburo yeah much different they!! are separated!!

Taylor These two stories have absolutely nothing in common. They need not be compared. However, society needs something to argue about so this topic came up. If we are comparing, however, Harry Potter wins. Dating back to old literature, vampires don't roam Earth during the day. I don't care how 'foggy/rainy/dreary' your town is. Harry Potter forces the reader to utilize imagination which, in my opinion, is a lost sense of self. Stephen King said it himself: 'Harry Potter is about facing your fears, being brave, and about adventure.. Twilight is about having a boyfriend."

Carrie Mcniven I couldn't have said it better myself!

Justin Silva There is no debate! Harry Potter will always win! :)

Tatum So true!!! :P

Hazel Now try actually reviewing the book you read...

message 13: by Shahida (new)

Shahida Anyone who dares to step up to that challenge is purely and simply brain dead.

Becca Thank You!!! I'm not saying the Twilight series aren't good books, but they will never compare to Harry Potter.

David Damiano Pure wisdom!

Andrew Kniceley Seriously? Edward sparkles, bella is dumb as a rock and the Weasley's are one of the best families I have ever heard of. James was probably one of the funniest characters in that movie. lol I know you are just pointing that out but to even compare them is stupid enough. lol

Laura Of course. Harry Potter is the most amazing series ever written and comparing JK Rowling to just about anyone is ridiculous.

Ondřej Miňovský I think people should be more careful when using the superlatives. One thing is that you want to apraise a thing (book) you love but the other is that you have no higher places to go when you read anything else which may or may not be as equally good. Not to say that Twillight and Harry Potter are very poor by any standard.

Jolene Yap I really don't understand the huge debate of Harry Potter versus Twilight. I mean, their genres are completely different, they target different audiences. Really, the writing style's a mile apart. I enjoyed both of them, I don't feel a particular need to pick a side.

Katelyn Hp will always be the.best flippin series.in the world.I don't care if people think.Twilight is better. Harry Potter has.more meaning

message 21: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana Hernandez so true i mean twilight could never compare to hp

WordlesslyAmazed03 Breaking Dawn is one of my favorite books, but Harry Potter is not the standard. It stands alone, not on any list of amazing books, simply there. There just isn't anything better, so I've stopped counting it.

Sadie-jane (sj) alexis nunis I'd read potter..
I'll not touch twilight with a ten foot pole.
if I want vampires.. I'll read anne rice again

message 24: by Dave (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dave You go!

message 25: by Angela (new)

Angela Park You madam, have my respect (;

Take.a.bite.of.a.b0ok-_- You're absolutely right, justin!!!(& all the other people that have agreed that harry potter is better.
Darn, how do you paste a pic??? Anyways, stephen king is one of the many few people that has his head screwed on right. Hp is just awesome and legendary,

"when i'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair and reading harry potter, and my family will say to me 'after all this time?' and i will say to them 'always' " -alan Rickman(snape in the movie)

Harry potter leaves a special place in your heart. And i will NOT start my twilight rant.

Becca Take.a.bite.of.a.b0ok-_- wrote: "You're absolutely right, justin!!!(& all the other people that have agreed that harry potter is better.

My favorite Alan Rickman quote! And the case will be the same for me too.

I agree with you, Harry Potter does leave a special place in your heart. I'm in the strange place where I actually like both series, yet I absolutely agree with every criticism of Twilight that comes up... but I still like it for some reason.
And whenever anyone asks me which I like better, I give them the "You can't seriously be asking me that..." look, and place myself firmly in the HP Camp.
In fact, I'm not even sure I can see the Twilight Camp from where I am...

Aline YES! LOVE THIS!

Aline Also, why are they even compared as though they are in the same league? Harry Potter is so, so, sosososososo much better in every way, literary and otherwise, that i don't understand the whole argument. The Twilight Saga is literally four books about a shallow irl complaining, and mostly just talking about her boyfriend. Who is a 'hot' vampire. Please. Give me a REAL issue. Like having to fight all your life for good and your loved ones. Not fight for your glittery boyf.

Frieda NICE REVIEW!!

Hannah preach it guurrrlll!!!!

Laura Agreed! I cant even begin to explain just how amazing Harry Potter is compared to Twilight.

message 33: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana How very dare you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 34: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana The Twilight saga is one of the best sagas I have ever read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

★ Jess I hope you are trolling

message 36: by Ambrosia (new)

Ambrosia Sullivan I enjoy both series. They both have strong points and they both have weak points. They are very different books so I would never think to compare them. Anymore than I would compare a Pickup truck to a Sports car..ect

Neeka I have read both series, I am 31. Now with saying that - I have read both series over a few different times, when new books came out or I was going to watch the movies based on the novel.
I realize that HP has more novels/movies than Twilight, yet even after all books and movies came out - I still go back to HP hands down.
I have not even bothered watching the.last two twilight movies - a waste if time IMHO.
Harry Potter pulls at all of your emotions, the older you are (or at least for me) the more I get out of each read.
Completely agree with your review. Definitely brought a smile to my face.

Ashlee Agreed. However, if Bella and Hermione actually existed then Hermione would be smarter. :)

message 39: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Preach it! This is so true

message 40: by Sophie (last edited May 30, 2013 11:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophie Haha I love the way you did this! Can't even begin to understand why some people say Twilight is better...*shakes head* hormonal teenagers these days :P

message 41: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Sophie wrote: "Haha I love the way you did this! Can't even begin to understand why some people say Twilight is better...*shakes head* hormonal teenagers these days :P"

'Hormonal" :"")

Maximum Potter Ha! Whoever says twilight is better is wrong. What did Meyer teach us? When your boyfriend leaves you, go jump off a cliff? I think not!! Harry Potter is superior because it teaches us lessens!

message 43: by Ingrid Madreia (last edited Jul 12, 2013 06:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ingrid Madreia I completely agree, because I've grown up with Harry Potter and for me, it doesn't replace anything.
Yes, I've read three Twilight books, but I've never felt the need to be compared it to this vampire-bullshit, because it's not possible. Obviously Harry Potter is a thousand times better! :)

message 44: by Meghana (new)

Meghana pathapati hey...wanna be friends.............and r those ur stories..?ur own?

Hermione Granger Thank god!!! Finally, someone with sense. You CAN'T compare at ALL!! There is NOTHING to compare!!

Aline Dana wrote: "The Twilight saga is one of the best sagas I have ever read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
You better be trolling.

message 47: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat It's also quite stupid since the plots of the book are exact opposites.

Alyssa I love them both. It bothers me how people always compare them, because they're really nothing alike except that they're both popular and fantasy. It's all a matter of opinion, and definitely not worth arguing about.

message 49: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy I've never read twilight, though I'd like to! Harry potter is a great book!!

Kingston Leung Harry Potter > Twilight