Robert Beveridge's Reviews > Incubus Dreams

Incubus Dreams by Laurell K. Hamilton

Dec 10, 09

bookshelves: finished, cuy-co-pub-lib
Read in November, 2009

Laurell K. Hamilton, Incubus Dreams (Berkley, 2004)

Here we are in the twelfth Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter book. It's been quite a while since Anita Blake did all that much vampire hunting (and what she's been doing with vampires recently has very little to do with hunting). Perhaps it's time to get back to some vampire hunting?

In this one, Anita juggles boyfriends, emotes, kind of makes up with Richard after meeting his new girlfriend, and, oh, investigates a handful of murders along the way. And that's what's been bugging me about the last few novels in the series; the mystery angle is an afterthought. It's not so much that the series has turned into a soap opera, but that it's turned into a soap opera that's still trying to keep its original readership by still including a few pages (I'd say 5% of the book's six hundred fifty) devoted to the original premise of the series, preternatural crimes.

Still, for all that, I can't be too incensed with Hamilton, because I'm still reading them, and I'm still interested in the soap opera. I just wish the mystery angle didn't seem so obviously like it was tacked on at the end. ***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incubus Dreams.