Melanie's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Apr 16, 15

Read in January, 2010

I probably should wait a little bit to write this review, but I can't! I guess I will start out with saying that this book drew me in from the moment I laid eyes upon it. The book cover is breathtaking. Even when I opened the first page of the book I was still taken back by how simple and beautiful it was. Yet, I can not judge a book just by its cover. I am not sure I can even find the words to describe how much I loved this book. It gave me an amazing feeling throughout the whole entire book. From the first page to the last page. It put me in a trance, and I felt so much emotion from all the characters. I think the love between Sam and Grace is so beautiful and pure. It probably is one of the best young adult couples I've ever had the pleasure of reading about. When I read about them I found myself saying "Edward and Bella who?"! This book wrapped me up in it's love, and I think Maggie Stiefvater has one of the most beautiful writing styles I've read in my twenty-two years of living (or at least my eighteen years of reading). I could go on forever and a day about how this novel blew me away, but I suppose that I will end with this: Linger is now the book I am most excited for in 2010.
66 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

01/07/2010 page 103
26.41% 1 comment

new_user Pretty resounding recommendation. :)

message 2: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan I agree 100% with you. Have you read her other books? Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception isn't as good as Shiver, but it's still very good. I haven't read the sequel Ballad: The Gathering of Faerie yet.

message 3: by Melanie (last edited Jan 08, 2010 09:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melanie Jan wrote: "I agree 100% with you. Have you read her other books? Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception isn't as good as Shiver, but it's still very good. I haven't read the sequel..."

No I haven't yet but I plan on making a trip to Barns Nobl3 today and purchasing both of them.

Melanie new_user wrote: "Pretty resounding recommendation. :)"

Hehe, yeah. I stand by this one 100%! :P.

Kelly I read Lament and did not care for it as much. It was good but I am not a huge fairy girl.

Karina I agree entirely. Shiver was my fab book of 2009 with Graceling falling as second.

I enjoyed Lament despite not being into fairies. I'm having trouble getting into Ballad simply because it's from another POV and I don't really care about him, so yeah...

Jessica I also agree entirely. The book was well done, well thought out and written. Everything needed was there. Romance, mystery character development, character attachment. It was beautifully done through and through. It's this type of book that should truly make readers become more aware, not the muddle the Twilight series is. That gets way more amp than it derserves, unlike this quiet jewel.

Beccy I've been dying to read this book, it looks really good! Still waiting for copies to come into the store they've sold out and can't find it anywhere :(

Melanie Beccy wrote: "I've been dying to read this book, it looks really good! Still waiting for copies to come into the store they've sold out and can't find it anywhere :("

Awh! Well I bought mine through Amazon, so you can always so that! It's totally worth it :].

Melanie Karina wrote: "I agree entirely. Shiver was my fab book of 2009 with Graceling falling as second.

Oh, Well I will defiantly have to read Graceling then!

Amanda I haven't finished the book just yet but I will tonight or tomorrow and I just started it last night. I loved your review. and agree with you on the writing style. It truly is very beautiful and you can almost hear a poetic melody while reading it. I know that may sound silly but I have a great love for the words as well as the story. Anyway.. I just wanted to say I'm glad I am not the only one who sees how great the writing is.

message 12: by Precious (last edited Jan 27, 2010 12:01PM) (new)

Precious I have no idea why you like this book i own this book and it is not good so yeah y do u like it so much theres no reason for writing this i think it has no point at all i dont mean to offend you but no this book is horrible and i repeat i dont like it.....

Kelly Precious wrote: "I have no idea why you like this book i own this book and it is not good so yeah y do u like it so much theres no reason for writing this i think it has no point at all i dont mean to offend you b..."

I enjoyed Shiver and Melanie's review. Your comment I didn't really care for.

Amanda Precious wrote: "I have no idea why you like this book i own this book and it is not good so yeah y do u like it so much theres no reason for writing this i think it has no point at all i dont mean to offend you b..."

Well Thats your opinion and are more than welcome to have it. I'm just sorry that you don't know what great writing is. But thats why I like the book. It sweet and cute but mostly the writing is beautiful.

Beccy I finally own the book! I bought it off ebay i can't wait to read it! Just got to finish the book im reading now lol:p

Laurel I just heard about this book from a friend and it looks really good! I guess I'm off to the book store soon(:
And Graceling is definitely a great book, in my opinion, you should all read it(:

Brandi Terral I couldn't agree more with this review! I was trying to think of what I was going to say about this book and you just took the words right right out of my mouth. I absolutely loved "Shiver" and could not put it down. Truly an absolutely amazing read that I would recommend to EVERYONE!! Seriously, an absolute standout book

Patrick B. I like your review. Two thumbs up! ;) great.

message 19: by Patrisha (new) - added it

Patrisha Really? I hated it! The whole book was a joke!

message 20: by Gwen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gwen Haaland I first started listening to this audio-book with my teen daughter on a car trip. I must say I thought it would be mediocre like Twilight. Amazingly, it was much much better than the former. The writing was lovely and evocative, the fleshed out main characters were more real, so romantic, one could sense the pure love (not based on looks) but sensing the two main characters were soul mates, a stronger more capable independent female main character seen in Grace (and not in Bella) and on and on. 4 stars in my book! (Twilight earned only 2)

Melanie I haven't looked back at this review in a very long time, but I'd like to thank all the positive responses I've accumulated. They really made me smile tonight! :] I think I may need to do a re-read and relive the magic of this book! <3