Sunil's Reviews > Ulysses

Ulysses by James Joyce

Nov 08, 2007

bookshelves: word-wines, reviews, favorites

Personally Ulysses means more than a lot. To me, there are books and there is this bible. Was quite young the first time I tried it, couldnt drag beyond the first chapter. Then after two summers, lots of waters had passed under the bridge and many more truths collected when I picked it up casually at a friend's place and finished it in three days flat.Each word made perfect sense. Rare harmony:That experience of consciousness.

It is this consciousness that makes even most gifted writers kneel before its altar:

There is a story about how George Orwell was depressed after reading this. He wrote that how impotent he felt before the might of this book, that everything he ever wrote or read seemed like a speck of trivia.

And when Scott Fitzgerald met Joyce, he kneeled and sobbed like a smitten teenager asking him 'How does it feel to be great genius Sir?

Also, It has my favourite sentence in all english literature:

Love loves to love love. (Love-subject, object, verb, everything in the universe)

YES, Ulysses is not a book, it is a Kingdom, love it or hate it, but deep down we all know English literature is simply divided into BU and AU- Before Ulysses and After Ulysses.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ulysses.

02/22 marked as: read

Vivek The entire passage after that sentence is so beautiful. I loved it. ah!

Sunil It is, like everything else in the book. My favourite would be water passage. Read it aloud and get blown away.