Jess's Reviews > Back in Black

Back in Black by Lori Foster

Mar 11, 10

bookshelves: 2010, lori-foster
Read in March, 2010

YES!!!! Did ya hear that?? I must profoundly thank Lori Foster for returning my faith in the SBC series after the atrocity known as My Man, Michael. I shudder in remembrance of the pseudo sci/fi mistake that was. Anyway, moving on! Foster has redeemed herself with the story of Drew Black, president of the SBC fighting organization. Gillian Noode (pronounced Nude) is a PR genius who has been hired to help clean up the act of Mr. Black. Her job is to make him seem less misogynistic and rude and to tone his language down from profanity laden to gentleman like. Ha, she has her work cut out for her.

Now.. I would just like to thank Foster for saying what every woman REALLY wants to say. I am of course a feminist. Equal rights, equal money, peace and love makes the world go 'round. BUT... just because women would like to be treated equal does not mean that this also should extend to the bedroom. Jeeze, how boring would that be?!? Please may I kiss your.... well you get the picture ;). So yes... I will man up and say that this book just made me shiver and Drew Black is fantastic.

5 stars I say... and to Ms. Foster, keep 'em coming! Pun INTENDED! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Back in Black.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dannielle I couldn't even finish My Man,Michael. I read the ending, realized how it ended and gave up. Sooo glad I didn't waste my time on it!

But you've restored my faith, so I'll ahead and add Back in Black to my TBR list. :)

Jess I was so scared to try this one.. but it was just as good as the first 3. I'm just going to pretend My Man, Michael never existed.

I think she was trying her audience out to see if they would like her sci/fi books. She has a series under the name L.L. Foster that is something like sci/fi futuristic.

message 3: by The Holy Terror (last edited Mar 11, 2010 09:17PM) (new)

The Holy Terror Jess wrote: "She has a series under the name L.L. Foster that is something like sci/fi futuristic."

I actually tried that series out because I don't read contemporary romance and I thought I'd give her a chance since she's a popular author. Servant: The Awakening is one of the few books on my abandoned shelf.

message 4: by new_user (last edited Mar 11, 2010 11:04PM) (new)

new_user LOL. Thanks for the informative review, Jess. I've been thinking about this series because I like the idea of a series about fighters, although I hear there's not much about their fighting in the books? Would I lose anything by starting with this one?

Also, excellent cover. Don't you love the UFC uniform? *leer*

Jess new_user wrote: "LOL. Thanks for the informative review, Jess. I've been thinking about this series because I like the idea of a series about fighters, although I hear there's not much about their fighting in the b..."

Some of the characters from previous books show up.. but I don't think it'll affect your understanding of what's going on. You just won't know the backstories of the fighters mentioned.

Basically, it's like MMA fighting, the organization is called SBC and the president is Drew Black. There aren't any detailed descriptions of blow by blow fights. In previous books, training schedules were mentioned, warmups and diet are mentioned. But again, no actual fights.

Jess Shannon wrote: "Jess wrote: "She has a series under the name L.L. Foster that is something like sci/fi futuristic."

Yeah.. I've heard bad things.

message 7: by new_user (new)

new_user Well, I like the idea of the training schedules and warmups, etc. at least. Those aren't mentioned here?

Jess new_user wrote: "Well, I like the idea of the training schedules and warmups, etc. at least. Those aren't mentioned here?"

Not that much. There is a side character that we see in the gym maybe once or twice, but since the main character isn't a fighter there isn't as much mentioned as in the other books.

If that's really what you're looking for, I would start with the first book, and by the time you get to this one, you'll just want to know more about Drew Black, because he's so yummy.

And perhaps you might want to just skip the number 4 book... My man, michael.

message 9: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL. Sounds like a plan. Thanks, Jess! ;)

message 10: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess No problem :)

message 11: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Cover - hot.

Description - "To make matters more complicated, Gillian's starting to like him raw."

Oh. Oh, my. Do you think the person writing the blurb was fully aware of the implications of that sentence?

Added!

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL, Michelle! I wonder...

message 13: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze Somehow, I'm thinking no...

message 14: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Fabio's Floozy (Michelle M.) wrote: "Cover - hot.

LOL, I didn't even notice that!

message 15: by The Flooze (new) - added it

The Flooze No worries. My dirty mind will always be here to help point things out.