Rachel Crooks's Reviews > The Truest Pleasure

The Truest Pleasure by Robert Morgan

Jan 23, 10

Read in June, 2009

I would like to convince people that they should read this book. I don’t know exactly how he did this, but Robert Morgan got into the head of a woman and made her seem real on the page. I learned so much about myself in reading about the marriage of Ginny and Tom. She is so passionate about revivalist meetings, and he so adamantly against them. He spends all of his hours working hard on their farm, scheming about how to make every dollar he can. The real-ness of this couple’s Appalachian life together gave me a true sense for what marriage must be like – both why it is a joy and why a constant struggle.
Most of all, Morgan's words were so insightful and quotable. A few that I liked:

“I reckon if people didn’t feel lonely they would get lazy. It is the ache, and the fear of the ache, that gives us starch and keeps us alert and planning.”

“The saddest thing of all was I saw that people couldn’t be any way but what they are. Even when doing right they are apt to be doing something else wrong.”

“And if you think where his strength is, and his greatest fear (for they are close related, wouldn’t you guess?) then you might see if you have been resisting his gifts.”

“Tom saw words as commitments he did not want to make unless he had to. I think he felt any verbal commitment was over-commitment.”

“Like most big things that happen to me, my marriage just seemed to take place on its own. Though I must have made thousands of choices it felt like I didn’t choose at all. Everything come to me.”

“Anger is among the sweetest feelings people know. That’s why they cherish it and feed it and remember it so long. Anger is like a tightening and sharpening of sight. It is the brightest angle from which to look at things.”
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truest Pleasure.