Alex Griffin's Reviews > The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers by Katrina Kittle

U 50x66
Dec 10, 09

This book was a very emotional book. One minute everything would be fine, and then out of the blue something bad would happen to this family. Sarah Laden, the protagonist, is a woman who has recently lost her husband, and is trying to raise her two sons Danny and Nate. If there's not enough drama with Sarah and her family, with Nate getting bad grades and Danny getting in fights, Courtney, Sarah’s best friend, has just got caught sexual abusing her child Jordan. Jordan finally got tired of everything and tried to overdose on some pills his mom had gotten from her work, and Sarah found him just in time, but that’s how all the secrets rose to the surface.

This whole novel is a reality of what is happening in the world today. There are hundreds of parents that sexual abusing their children every day. There are also hundreds if not thousands of single parents struggling to even get food on the table. It’s a very moving book; it helps you realize what a good life you have. Most of all it makes you thankful for your parents. Most teenagers need to realize that their parents only do the things they do because they love you, and want the best for you. In today’s society that’s not always the case. There are people in this world that could care less about their kids, and they just have them for their entertainment.

My favorite part is when Nate realizes his mom isn’t as bad as he thinks she is. He sees that she really care about him, and just wants the best for him. Nate goes to the hospital with his mom to go see Jordan right after the incident, and everything has been uncovered. He sees Jordan, and is immediately connects with him. Nate really helps Jordan get through his issues, and is a big encouragement throughout the whole book. My second favorite part is when Jordan runs away from Sarah and goes back to his house where everything happened. Jordan gets frustrated, and leaves. He decides he’s going to go back to his house and get some of his old things. The bad thing is once he gets there all he can think about is what his parents did to him, and how much he really just hated his parents. He completely destroys the house, but as soon as he was done there was a certain calm that came over him. That was all it took for him to finally move on, and the start for him to try to be normal again.

I wouldn’t really recommend this book to a lot people. I highly do not recommend this book to younger kids, preteens, or most parents. This book tends to be too graphic for younger kids, and for parents I would think it would really upset them, or make them extremely angry. Although for some parents it makes them think about how they could help stop sexual abuse. I would strongly recommend this to teenagers and young adults. It encourages teens to look at their surrounding, and realize they aren’t that bad. I mean it could be a lot worse.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kindness of Strangers.

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Battles I read this book last summer. It was VERY intense, totally not what I expected. It was well-written (did you know the author is a Jr. High English teacher?) and I did like it. I agree with you, though...not for everyone.