Andrew's Reviews > Marx's Concept of Man

Marx's Concept of Man by Erich Fromm

M_50x66
Dec 19, 09

Marx? Communism? Please!!!

That's the gut reaction of most of us. Why is this? Why is the man who's ideas stimulated nearly half the world to revolution automatically rejected without even being seriously looked at by most of us the U.S. today?

The fact is Marx is more than communism. His most famous work is not called Communism but Capital. (The manifesto was a small pamphlet next to the thousands of pages of the planned four volumes of Capital). He is strongest in his analysis of the very history and machinery of this economic system.

Today, we see yet another crisis in global capitalism. Almost all of us who seek understanding of this crisis do so using the very same conceptual tools of the doctrine itself. But what if there are incorrect assumptions that the governments, universities and media networks of the world continuously overlook?

Marx's Concept of Man serves as an introduction to such an analysis. It is a compilation of various manuscripts of the early Marx and is quite digestible--especially after Fromm's preface.

Erich Fromm--a significant 20th century philosopher in his own right--introduces us to some of the most timeless aspects of Marx's concept of man in a way that makes his thought significant to this day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marx's Concept of Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gary (new)

Gary Morrison Great review! I share your opinion of Erich Fromm as a semminal commentator on the perdiciment of humanity in the 20th century. At least two of his books, Escape From Freedom and The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness I would put on a short list of indispensable analyses of the ongoing social catastrophe and seemingly bottomless political peril facing capitalist modernity. I believe Fromm succeeds in taking up where Marx left off explaining the regime of instrumental rationality and moral depravity that accompany commodification. Fromm's insights into the relationship that exists between Christianity and Fascism are the stuff of nightmares. I cannot remember reading a social critique written in the past fifty years that does not at some point mention his name.