Anne's Reviews > Identity Crisis

Identity Crisis by Brad Meltzer

1720620
Aug 31, 2016

bookshelves: comics, graphic-novels, read-in-2009, favorites, read-in-2012, read-in-2016
Recommended for: Anyone with a Secret Identity
Read on August 30, 2016 , read count: 3

This is one of my favorites, and (to me) it still holds up after multiple re-readings.
Word of warning: People seem to either love it or hate it.
Obviously, I'm in the Love It! section, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will.

description

How many of you out there know who Elongated Man is?
Better yet, of those of you who know, how many of you care what happens to him? Thought so. Well, if you read Identity Crisis, you will find yourself caring not only about him, but his wife, Sue, as well. As it turns out, they have a great love story all to themselves.
One that I had never even heard about before I read this book, which is what makes the opening pages even more heartbreaking.

description

Sadly, the story begins with Sue's murder. Naturally, members of the Justice League from all over spring into action trying to hunt down her killer, and prevent anyone else's loved one from becoming a target. Secretly, though, several members meet in private to discuss past sins. As the story unfolds, we learn that there is a secret League within the Justice League.

description

And like most things in life, their story is neither black nor white.
Identity Crisis tilts everything you know about the DC universe on its axis by asking a simple question: How have the costumed heroes kept their identities a secret for so long?

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Identity Crisis.

12/18/2009 page 7
2.43% "This one looks like it's going to be really good." 2 comments

Gavin Oh Good, I'm glad someone else liked this a lot. I still feel like even if you don't like the Ralph/Sue, you can ignore that part and just focus on the internal issues of the JL and the reality of problems faced there.

Anne How can anyone not like this? I gave it to my friend's kid a few months back, and he was blown away. Of course, he's only 14...

Gavin Some people say it was overblown and that no one would care about minor characters like that. I think that it doesn't matter as much about who died as to what happens, and what it reveals about the team and how it's held together. I very much enjoyed it. If I were 14 I'd be like whoa dude.

Anne Who are these 'people'? This is one of my favorite stories ever. Counting novels. It's just good.

Gavin LOL. Sam gave it 2 stars. Other things I've read say the same, that no one cares about the Dibnys and that it's overblown. But look, I am on your side :) I like it.

Anne If Sam and I ever agree on a comic book, you need to go play the lottery. Yin and Yang!

message 7: by Joseph (new) - added it

Joseph i liked it a lot, too. need to re-read it.

i think a lot of us who grew up reading comics in the 60s - 80s really, really like Elongated Man and Sue. EM had a back up in Flash and Detective comics for many years, and he was among the first, if not the first, hero at DC whose identity was public. they had all these little crimes to solve, and the stories were light-hearted and fun to read. And when Ralph joined the JLA, it was great having a "minor" character join the big guns.

So, yeah, this story is dark, and it was very sad for us long time fans, but it still worked for me. Comics obviously are not the same as in the days of my youth, but the story was well told and there were lots of small interactions that added such great commentary to the DCU.

I need to re-read and give a review of Goodreads. Glad you liked it.

Anne Definitely want to see you review this one Joseph! I'd love to hear your take on this, especially with your longtime background in comics.

Gavin You and Sam agreed on Superman: Secret Identities!

message 10: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Everyone loves that one...even curmudgeony guys like Sam.
*shifty eye thing*
Pssst...Sam isn't aware of this thread, right?

*LOUDLY*
I appreciate all of the GREAT and WONDERFUL opinions express by my DEAR friend, Sam. All hail his awesomeness!

Shahriar Shafin maybe people hate it because it's more of a mystery novel, than a comicbook. like a detective story.

message 12: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Well, I've heard people say that the 'bad guy' had lame reasons for committing the crime. An, yeah, I can see what they mean, but I still loved it.

message 13: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Josh wrote: "This may be the most divisive comic ever. I've never met anyone who thought "meh, it was OK.""

Right?! It's crazy how polarizing this one is!
*notices Josh's 2 star review*
*picks up torch and pitchfork*
No, just kidding. I get it. :)

message 14: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne LOL! Yeah, and I have to agree with you. There were some serious plot holes in that ending. STILL!
Tell me that some of those panels weren't just ICONIC!
Batman holding Robin? That horrible scene with Dr. Light and Sue in the beginning? When Batman and Robing were racing in the car to try to save Tim's dad? All of those choke me up. Every. Time.

message 15: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne That eyeball thing! Ack! Yes, definitely a top ten moment.

message 16: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten I've always wanted to read this. I'm going to have to track down a copy, especially since I'm not a big fan of current DC storylines.

message 17: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne I really hope you like it, Kirsten!
So, you aren't liking the Rebirth stuff? I haven't read any yet, but I've been seeing lots of positive buzz. Not from everyone, but...

Jeremy DeBottis Agree that this is really good. I've loaned it to a number of people and everyone always likes it.

I felt like it dealt with a question that always comes up of do heroes keep their secret identities, and more importantly what happens if they get out real well.

message 19: by Vasharesh (new)

Vasharesh I've been shying away from this for a while. As you said, some love it, others absolutely hate it.

message 20: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace I loved this one! But then came...Final Crisis....

message 21: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Vasharesh wrote: "I've been shying away from this for a while. As you said, some love it, others absolutely hate it."

I know the feeling. Go with your gut!

message 22: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Jeremy wrote: "There's some dark parts, but it's a comic so if anything happens that people don't like it gets rewritten and removed down the line anyway."

YES! That may be one of my favorite things about comics. Or it's possible it's what I hate the most...
I can't decide. ;)

message 23: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Quentin wrote: "I loved this one! But then came...Final Crisis...."

Uuuuuugh. Yep.

Sud666 I fall on the "love" side of things

message 25: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne I just knew you were cool...