Patdmac7's Reviews > Welcome to the Monkey House

Dec 10, 2009

Read in December, 2009

Welcome to the Monkey House - Kurt Vonnegut

One foot in front of the other - through leaves, over bridges. 56

A chance is a girl. You smile at her, you be friendly, you be glad she's a girl. ... If men are nice to me and make me happy, I kiss them sometimes. 87

...if folks would swallow their self-respect and pride, there wouldn't be any more divorces. 129

But I can tell you now, darling - it's awfully hard for a woman to admire a man who actually doesn't do anything. 159

That's a mistake (to think). You miss an awful lot of life that way. That's why you Yankees are so cold. You think too much. That's why you marry so seldom. 212

As a matter of fact, it's a respectful thing to say that somebody is childish in certain ways, because it's people like that who seem to get all the big ideas. 257

Nobody but a saint could be really sympathetic or intelligent for more than a few minutes at a time in a body - or happy, either, except in short spurts. 261

They never get out of their bodies and won't try to learn. They don't want anybody else to do it, either... 262

We all got something. You got music; I got vision. Think big! Dream big! That's what vision is. Keep your eyes wider open than anybody else's. 272

If you smashed up all the schools we wouldn't have any hope left. ... The hope that everybody will be glad he's alive. 278

Love yourself. And make your instrument sing about it. A-one, a-two, a-three. Down came his baton. 283

If you ask me, our boys were experted to death. 291

De mortuis nil nisi bonum - Say nothing but good of the dead. 305

They don't care. They're all too busy, busy, busy to notice life, to feel anything about it. 313

He drank a cup of coffee, and with a wry sense of anonymity, he jostled and was jostled aboard the downtown train. 313

...most of the world's ills can be traced to the fact that Man's knowledge of himself has not kept pace with his knowledge of the physical world. 321

Life was good. He could hardly wait to see what was going to happen next. 331

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Welcome to the Monkey House.