Patdmac7's Reviews > The Natural

The Natural by Bernard Malamud

U 50x66
Dec 10, 09

Read in February, 2009

... a splurge of freedom ...
... sleepless still despite the lulling train ... 1

"What I mean," he insisted, "is I feel that I have got it in me - that I am due for something very big. I have to do it. ... 32

"I think I know what you mean," he said. "You mean the fun and satisfaction of you get out of playing the best way you know how?" 34

It was a confusing proposition to want a girl you'd already had and couldn't get because you had; a situation common in his life, of having first and then wanting what he had had, as if he hadn't had it but just heard about it, and it had, in the hearing, aroused his appetite. He even wished he had not had her that night, and wondered - say he hadn't - whether he would be in the least interested in her today. 117

In her wide eyes he saw something which caused him to believe she knew what life was like, though you really couldn't be sure. 151

Of course I was embarrassed but I don't think you can do something for anything for anyone without giving up something of your own. 155

"We have two lives, Roy, the life we learn with and the life we live with after that. Suffering is what brings us toward happiness." 158

He felt almost happy, and that he could do anything that he wanted, if he wanted. 223
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Natural.