Patdmac7's Reviews > Bagombo Snuff Box

U 50x66
Dec 10, 2009

Read in April, 2009

Creative Writing 101:
1. Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.
2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.
3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.
4. Every sentence must do one of two things-reveal character or advance the action.
5. Start as close to the end as possible.
6. Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them-in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
7. Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the worls, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.
8. Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To heck with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.

I might as well settle here as anywhere, since I haven't very strong reasons for living in any particular part of the country. 54

Why don't you say, 'I am going to build a life for myself, for my time, and make it a work of art'? ... Design your life like that Finnish carafe over there clean, harmonious, alive with the cool, tart soul of truth in our time. 112

As he walked up to Amy's small, ordinary house, he managed a smile of sad maturity, the smile of a man who has hurt and been hurt, who has seen everything, who has learned a great deal from it all, and who, incidentally, has made a lot of money along the way. 139

He was being asked to match his father's passion for the factory with an equal passion for something else. And Franklin had no such passion-for the theater or anything else.
He had nothing but the bittersweet, almost formless longings of youth. 206

He wanted to cray about growing old, about the shabby ends brave young lovers came to. 224

One of the worst mistakes a person can makes, sometimes, I guess, is to try to get away from people and think. It's a great way to lose your forward motion. 238

From what I've seen of the rich people I grew up with, money just makes people worried and unhappy. People with a lot of money get so worried about how maybe they'll lose it, they forget to live. 254

If we should try to prove our love,
Our love would be in danger.
Let's put our love beyond all harm.
Good-bye - sweet, gentle stranger. 257

The world could do with a good deal more mess, if you ask me. 262

I guess the world seems so upside down so often is that everybody figures he's doing things on account of somebody else. 279

Housewifery is a swindle, if a woman can do more. 279

Women are awful bluffers sometimes. 279

What (creative writing) students wanted and got, and what so many of their children are getting, was a cheap way to externalize what was inside them, to see in black-and-white who they were and what they might become. 290
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bagombo Snuff Box.