Tosh's Reviews > The Threepenny Opera

The Threepenny Opera by Bertolt Brecht

Dec 03, 2007

As a hardcore boho 'Beat' kid, I was raised with the soundtrack of Kurt Weil/Bertolt Brecht's "Threepenny Opera." In fact, Lotte Lenya was probably the first singing voice I heard after my Mom - who used to sing to me when I was a little child.

Many years later I read the play/musical and was taken back at its cynical look in how society works. It's an amazing piece of theater and the music is and will always be superb.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Threepenny Opera.

10/02/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Fostergrants (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new) - added it

Fostergrants after reading the first two sentences of your review for 'the threepenny opera', i have decided i'm coming over to sit on the floor of your study while you tell me stories of your childhood!

message 2: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tosh In a nutshell, my childhood in two books:

Semina Culture: Wallace Berman and his Circle

Wallace Berman Photographs

And of course you are always invited to study!

Ciao,
Tosh

message 3: by Fostergrants (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new) - added it

Fostergrants ok so i have been googling your nutshell as invited (that didn't quite come out right) and having a wonderful time, although i already feel a bit stalker-ish for doing so. fabulous beyond words. what a colorful history. i'm so happy for you. the photographs are beautiful but i was so excited to find that your father was the daddy of collage artists, since it is a new interest of mine. also, my daughter recently moved to sf to attend mills college, so i've been looking for books regarding the 'beat' scene and can't wait to add the above to her next care package. thank you so much for sharing. - pam

message 4: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tosh Pam, both books I had nothing to do with except nod my head once in awhile. Kristine McKenna did the real work and basically was her idea along with Michael Duncan (Semina Culture) and Lorraine Wild (Photographs). It's kind of weird to go to a bookstore and there is a book of you as a little boy. Many years later I am still that little boy!

Congrats for your daugher!

Ciao,