Julia's Reviews > The Cricket in Times Square

The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden

Dec 10, 09

bookshelves: children-chapter-book, read-aloud-with-kids
Read in December, 2009

This book was about a Connecticut cricket who gets lost in New York City. He is taken care of by the Bellini family and befriended by a mouse and a cat. This is an enjoyable book to read. It has lots of different types of characters from animals to the Bellini family, Sai Fong a Chinese man who befriends Mario, the boy who found the cricket, and some minor characters, people who work in Grand Central Station.

Perhaps,though, it would appeal more to people who like New York and understand its rhythms more than I do or even care to understand. The pace felt rushed like I was supposed to feel more for the cricket than I did and before I could become properly emotionally attached the book was over. Now having said that, the ending choked both my son and I up, but it wasn't like a Charlotte's Web gut wrenching tug, but more of a "Aww" sensation.

This was a bookclub selection for my son. It is a book often recommended to children and I guess I expected it to be more interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cricket in Times Square.