MAP's Reviews > To Dance with Kings

To Dance with Kings by Rosalind Laker

Dec 16, 09

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction
Read in December, 2009

I tried, but I never could be swept off my feet by this one. The characters all seemed to blend together: when the women were young, they all had the same characteristics. As they got older, they all matured into a different set of same characteristics. Many actions and reactions seemed slightly off -- some from their historical counterparts (like Marie Antoinette) and some just from general human behavior. And the various romances and relationships never seemed to have any foundation, and therefore always felt rushed and flat. Overall, none of the people in the book ever really felt human for me, which is a pity, because the idea of following 4 generations of women through Versailles is fascinating. The execution was just a little underwhelming.

Recommended if you like French pre-revolutionary history, but not enthusiastically.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Dance with Kings.

12/11/2009 page 75
12/14/2009 page 208
33.33% "Do the characters' behaviors and reactions seem a bit...off to anyone else?" 1 comment
show 2 hidden updates…