Bill's Reviews > The Lincoln Lawyer

Oct 14, 11

bookshelves: mystery-suspense
Read from October 04 to 14, 2011

It's been a very long time since I last read Michael Connelly. Way back
when he was virtually unknown I had somehow heard about him and loved
his first Harry Bosch novel The Black Echo. In fact, I still have a print of Hopper's famous Nighthawks on my wall, which I was inspired to buy because of that novel.

I continued to follow Bosch through a few more novels, and they began to pale for me somewhere around The Concrete Blond.

Then came a new character with The Poet, which was fantastic. There were waves of unease that continued long after I had finished it. A few years after that, I read The Narrows, which was a follow-up to The Poet and it kind of fell flat for me.

So now comes another new character with The Lincoln Lawyer. I was pretty excited to get into this one as it was well received by reviewers and a movie with considerable buzz had been made from it.

What I liked the most about this novel was the lead character. I didn't
necessarily like him, but the fact that he was unabashedly in it for the money was a refreshing change from the squeaky clean defense lawyers we've come to expect from legal thrillers. Mickey Haller does have some conscience, though: his worst clients are the ones who you know are innocent. These are cases you cannot lose for fear of seeing an innocent person sent to prison.
But for Haller, winning a case for an innocent client is also a loss. It's a loss of the gravy train. Haller's bread and butter is the "franchise" client: he's guilty, and if he's well off, the payday can roll out through investigations, pre-trial, trial, and appeals.

So, yeah...a very cool basis for a character.

Unfortunately for me, this story didn't deliver the punch-in-the-gut I like to receive from legal thrillers. The story was pretty good, it certainly kept me engaged, but for the most part it was a pretty light read, and to be honest, a too easy effort from a writer I expect bigger things from.
I'm glad I read it, but I'm not inclined to read more of him.

7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lincoln Lawyer.

Ashley What other good legal thrillers are good? I liked Primal fear alot..

Bill Primal Fear was great. Presumed Innocent is my favorite. I haven't read many legal thrillers lately but Defending Jacob was pretty good.