Cristina's Reviews > The Secret of Everything

F 50x66
Jan 11, 2010

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in January, 2010

Thanks to Goodreads First Reads for giving me this book for free in one of their book giveways!

When I started reading this book, I was hesistant to get into it. The beginning drags through an immense amount of foreshadowing. It is overpowering, and it isn't until maybe 50 pages in that you finally start cracking away at the actual story. However, once you start to bring down those layers, you are rewarded with a heartbreaking, uplifting, and wonderful story.

One thing I loved about this book was the sense of community and small town superstition that weaved through each chapter. Los Ladrones is marked by its past, but each character is concerned with moving forward. Maybe some of the storylines were a bit farfetched, but they were refreshing. It was both guarded and open, fresh and comforting.

I definitely recommend this book. By the end I tried my hardest to read it slowly so I wouldn't have to stop getting to know the characters who captured my heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of Everything.