Roxane's Reviews > L'Homme Démoli, suivi de Terminus Les Étoiles

L'Homme Démoli, suivi de Terminus Les Étoiles by Alfred Bester

Dec 25, 09

bookshelves: classic, science-fiction
Read in December, 2009

This book actually contains two books: The Demolished Man and The Stars My Destination.

I've just finished reading the first one, The Demolished Man (L'Homme Démoli in French), and I must say that I'm truly impressed by Bester's strong narrative and innovative ideas (though the book was first published in 1953). Most classics I've read seem somehow out of date, the subjects they broach have generally been dealt with over and over again (hell, that's why they're classics, right?!) and well, younger writers have built upon older writers' knowledge and experience and written things that are more worth your while. That was my experience of classics until now.

The Demolished Man's proven me wrong. This novel hasn't aged a day. It's really brillant, not only is it smartly constructed, you never know for which of the main characters you're rooting, it's also filled with scifi goodness and does a wonderful job at depicting a future society in which normal humans must live side by side with telepaths (by the way, passages containing telepathic conversations are a delight to read). This is scifi at its best.

I am so glad that Denoel are putting out classics such as this with a brand new French translation. These books *need* to be out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read L'Homme Démoli, suivi de Terminus Les Étoiles.

12/10/2009 page 55
12/14/2009 page 120
20.76% "Making slow progress because of lack of time but this is a really smartly built and executed novel!"
12/24/2009 page 200
34.6% "Resuming my reading of this excellent SF classic"
show 1 hidden update…