JG (The Introverted Reader)'s Reviews > Promises to Keep

Promises to Keep by Charles  de Lint

Oct 21, 2007

bookshelves: own, fantasy, fiction, characters_i_love, z_read_in_2007, charles_de_lint, reviewed, 5_stars, z_author_canadian, not_quite_a_series
Read in November, 2007

This is Charles de Lint.

Promises to Keep is a novella about everyone's favorite Newford artist, Jilly Coppercorn. But this time we're seeing Jilly when she's fresh off the streets and getting started as a student at Butler University. The transition isn't easy, especially when Jilly's best friend from her street days shows up with an offer Jilly finds hard to refuse.

Apparently this started out as a short story about Jilly, but it grew into this little book. I devoured it in a few hours.

I really enjoyed it. I liked seeing Jilly when she was so young and just learning to be "relentlessly cheerful" and how to open up and make new friends. I also liked reading about Jilly's first meetings with Geordie, Sophie, and Wendy.

If you like Charles de Lint, especially if you like his short stories (this little book does keep the feel of a short story), read this one for sure. If you're just looking for some fantasy that's not too out-of-this world, with some really good characterization as a bonus, read this one. You won't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promises to Keep.