K. Bird's Reviews > Mercy Thompson: Homecoming

Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs

Dec 10, 09

Wow. Just....wow. I've been a die-hard Briggs fan from the first Mercy Thompson book and I was a little hesitant to risk the dissonance that sometimes occurs when a beloved book character is transformed into a graphic representation.

However, this version of Mercy, Stefan and (yowza) Adam Hauptman totally added to the book experience.

Granted, the gratuitous nakedness of Mercy as well as the sometimes awkward depiction of her face was a little jarring sometimes, but I felt the artist got Zee perfect, and Adam and his second Daryl also were spot on for me.

The story itself might better be enjoyed by people who already have read some of the series. Part of the enjoyment for me was the "so that's how it was" moments of when Mercy meets people like Zee, Stefan, and Adam for the first time. While we do get an interesting tidbit about Mercy wanting to be a teacher (before she ends up a mechanic), overall I felt the graphic novel portrayal of her personality was more bitter and irritable than the Mercy I know from the novels.

The novel depicts Mercy's arrival in the tri-cities area, which happens to coincide with Adam's takeover of the area werewolves.

Bloodshed ensues.

Food Designation Rating: Lemon Pepper double-fried french fries with garlic aoli dip, because its spicy and creamy on your tongue at the same time, and you gulp them down compulsively, but they're not by any means good for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mercy Thompson.