Brittany Sweeney's Reviews > Revenge and Forgiveness

Revenge and Forgiveness by Patrice Vecchione

Dec 10, 09

bookshelves: love, forgiveness

According to the compilationist of this book, revenge and forgiveness are two of the most pervasive human emotions; sometimes we want one while doing the other, and sometimes one becomes so strong within us that the other becomes impossible. In this anthology, a visual journey is taken, first exploring different poems of anger and hate, of people who have been wronged and are ripe for revenge. Slowly, however, the poems begin to change, and a path that could have beend disastrous instead decides to explore the power and healing found in forgiveness. None of these poems were written by the woman who compiled them; she simply found them, saw how they related to each other, and decided that in the wake of the September 11th tragedy that it would be beneficial for Americans to learn to let go of their hate and forgive their enemies. When I first picked up this book, I guess I was expecting a book of love poetry; obviously, though, that's not really what it is. Instead, these poems are meant to make us think: is it really worth the eye for an eye, or should we indeed move on and let love heal us? Too often, people let vengence overtake them; this book of poems requests that while we may feel anger and even hate, nothing will work to cleanse us quite like forgiveness. I would mostly recommend this book to those who really like poetry, as there are many different styles of poems, or maybe I would show someone a few of them as opposed to having them read each poem, as it becomes a bit tedious after awhile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revenge and Forgiveness.