Meg - A Bookish Affair's Reviews > The Grapes of Wrath

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011, classics, fiction
Read in November, 2011

This is one of the classics that I've wanted to read for awhile and I'm glad that I got to read it! Especially with everything going on in the world today, this was an especially good choice for right now.

I felt bad for the Joad family. They're forced off the land that they had been farming for ages. It wasn't a great existence but it was a certain existence. Now nothing is certain for any of the members of the family. They follow the great migration west to California, the land of promise. They believe that they're going to be able to find work and begin to really live the American dream. They find that the American dream is much further away than what they originally thought.

I got thoroughly sucked into the story of the Joad family as they struggled to make their way across the country. I kept wishing and hoping that something would turn around for the family but it was not to be. The Great Depression was hard for everyone but it was definitely harder for people like sharecroppers (like the Joads) who just about lost everything that they possibly could. This is Steinbeck's commentary on this dark period of American history and the inequality present. He doesn't shy away from talking about any of the issues.

One of the most intriguing parts of the book was the very last scene (which I won't giveaway because you all need to read this book). This is a scene that I think will probably stick in my mind for forever. To me, it almost seemed to be a glimmer of hope. Perhaps it was the idea that even when things are absolutely terrible for ourselves, we still have the ability to be kind to each other and to realize when we can step in and help. That's a beautiful thing.

Bottom line: This is a classic American novel that should not be missed!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grapes of Wrath.