Mary E's Reviews > The Puppet Masters

The Puppet Masters by Robert A. Heinlein

F 50x66
Dec 09, 2009

Read in December, 2009

I read this book as a teen, and so did Dad. It's fun to read a book written in 1951 that tries to predict the future year 2007. Back then, the 2000s seemed impossibly far away. In this book we now have flying cars that can also run on the ground, colonies on the moon and Mars, and watches on our fingers. But only three communication satellites! (I guess three seemed enough to cover the whole world. One of them would always be above the horizon.) World War III has happened, but the Soviets are still there, and still mysterious.

The story is about who was in those flying saucers that were surveying us in the 1950s. It turns out they are sluglike creatures that attach themselves to human backs and control them through their brains. Then the controlled humans go after yet more humans to attach slugs to. It takes the whole book to discover a way to get rid of them, and even then the book ends with a space colony going their home planet Titan, the moon of Saturn, to destroy them all.

I haven't told it very well, but Heinlein was an excellent writer, and the story is tense and suspenseful.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Puppet Masters.

06/01 marked as: read