Eastofoz's Reviews > Comanche Moon

Comanche Moon by Catherine Anderson

Feb 06, 10

bookshelves: western-frontier
Recommended for: Readers who don't mind a lengthy story that doesn't only focus on the h/h

I didn’t like or dislike this book. It’s sort of one of those books that’s just “there”, an average read with nothing exciting but with things that bugged me more than stood out as “wow that was great”.

Anderson’s frontier story started off well enough with the settlers and the Indians at war. There’s your gruesome warfare on both sides, an okay heroine and a hero with potential but it just missed the mark in terms of coming together as a good love story. I found it all to be very long once I hit the three quarter mark and I think the author could have edited out a lot of the filler and narration that didn’t have much to do with the h/h. I have a problem with a hero who can’t really communicate in terms of speech with the heroine, for some reason I just can’t believe the great love story. Hunter could speak a passable English while Loretta couldn’t speak any Comanche so I don’t know why he really wanted her so badly. Her incessant distrust of him was annoying as was her prudishness. I can appreciate a “reticent” heroine but at some point she has to let go to show that she loves the hero otherwise it might as well be historical fiction not historical romance. I never got that feeling from Loretta. I could see how she’d be very leery in trusting Hunter given what happened to her mother but at some point she either has to fish or cut bait and I really wish they’d have both called it a day and just gone their separate ways. He was constantly having to justify himself and convince her that what he did was not something heinous like she often thought. It got old. Why did he put up with it? There was too much back and forth You’re mine/I’m not/Yes you are/No I’m not. The story felt repetitious towards the end with heavy narration and useless filler about the wars, the destruction, the hardship etc etc. Even the steam was a nothing to write home about. Absolutely nothing happens really until nearly the end and at over 400 pages of small writing that’s a lot of time to wait. Sure there’s the build up at the beginning but it just keeps building and then stagnates to a point where I didn’t really care when Loretta did finally decide to get her act together. A notable secondary character was Hunter’s cousin Red Buffalo. He was so horrible but at least he was different because the other characters were just cardboard cut-outs from Loretta’s cousin Amy to some of the Indian women who befriended Loretta. Very stereotypical romance characters doing stereotypical things.

Considering its length, the author did do a decent job of weaving together a story it just wasn’t one that held my interest right through. I wanted more emotional investment from the h/h and what I got was a general love story with a lot extra info that should’ve been wallpaper but turned out to be nearly main characters themselves. The ending was also too “epic” and again not focused on the h/h. It had that “Brave New World” feel to it, not what I want in a romance novel.

So this just makes 4 stars for me. It’s not a bad story but for me it wasn’t what I’d call good either let alone great. It’s the type of read I let out a big sigh of relief and was happy when it was finished so I could move on to something else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comanche Moon.

01/27/2010 page 1
0.21% "Here's hoping this is good --I need a decent read." 13 comments
02/03/2010 page 468
96.89% "This book is way too long."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathrynn Hope you enjoy this one, East. You've picked up some real stinkers lately, so you have to be "due." :-)

message 2: by Angelc (new) - added it

Angelc I've heard so many great things about this one!! I hope you like it :)

message 3: by Jace (new)

Jace Yong Looks like I won't be reading this one. ;)

Eastofoz Jace wrote: "Looks like I won't be reading this one. ;)"

I think you'd find it long too Jace.

message 5: by Angelc (new) - added it

Angelc Great review, Eastofoz!! I've been curious about this one for awhile, b/c I've seen it on lists of top romances of all time. It seems like it might be a little old fashioned? And by old fashioned I mean like 80s romances. Hmm, I don't like the fact that she doesn't trust him at all. I also don't care for the whole "She's mine" business. Ewww!!! I doubt I'll read this one now...

Eastofoz Thanks Angelc :) It does have an 80s feel to it. I don't know if the author touched up some parts with the reissue seeing as I never read the original. That trust issue really grated for me especially when it was nearly the end and they were rehashing the same thing yet again :-/

message 7: by Barks & Bites (last edited Feb 09, 2010 07:00AM) (new)

Barks & Bites I'm glad I traded this in unread. I often regret doing that but I have a much shorter attention span than I before I had kids. I had an original copy and it probably would've bored me very quickly.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Sorry you didn't love this one. This book really affected me emotionally, but I guess the NA conflict is an issue that affects me deeply.

Eastofoz LOL BarkLessWagMore on short attention spam --I can commiserate ;)

Win some lose some Danielle :) At least I got to see what all the chatter was about :)

message 10: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Terrific review East! Just exactly how long is this book? Are we talking door stop here?

Eastofoz Thanks Tammy :) My edition is 468 pages with miniscule writing and hardly any "white space" on the page so it's really packed. It takes a lot to hold my interest for that long and very few authors can because they can't seem to develop the story right up to the end without putting in everything and the kitchen sink in there and that usually ends up bugging me. It's like end it already!