Cara's Reviews > The Cupcake Queen

The Cupcake Queen by Heather Hepler

Dec 13, 09

bookshelves: realistic-fiction
Read in December, 2009

I have a confession to make. It was the cupcakes on the cover that got me. I mean don't they look so delicious? I could just feel my mouth water by just looking at them. It's no wonder lately I've been craving cupcakes...

Penny Lane feels out of place since she has moved to middle of nowhere Hogs Hollow. Her mother has opened up a cupcake shop and Penny's parents are taking a "break". Penny just want things to get back to how they use to be but she finds out quickly that things don't always work out how you want them to. That maybe she just is going to have to figure out things as she goes.

I'm having a hard time explaining why I enjoyed this book so much. I loved the RPS (Rock Paper Scissors) Society, the theory of how a Jolly Rancher can tell you a lot about your personality, or how magical the beach really is. Again the beach is just so key in this book. It makes me want to live near one, and never go back. Marcus (ie the "guy" in the book) is so adorable but has much more to him than what meets the eye. The dynamic between Tally and Blake (friends of Penny) is just so awesome. I laughed numerous times and couldn't help but think that Penny was so mature for her age. She finds that she isn't the only one with problems and that maybe just maybe Hogs Hollow may not be all that bad.

Art plays a huge role in the story, and it was interesting to see the many forms of art there was. I was glad to see that the whole book did not concentrate on the revenge against Charity (Penny's bully from day one). I have read Dream Factory by her and Brad Barkley, but I very much prefer this one. I'm not sure if it's because she did The Cupcake Queen alone, or that there wasn't a change of narrators but this one did it for me. Though in the end things seemed a little rushed, it was fine because sometimes in real life things happen at break neck speed without you noticing. As always I have to nitpick at something. At school Marcus doesn't seem to pay much attention to Penny and when we find out what it is it's just seemed like it doesn't fit. It's just doesn't explain everything in my opinion. Nevertheless this book was just what I needed. It made me think of how much everyone has to deal with but somehow things seem to work out if you just let people in.
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cupcake Queen.

12/11/2009 page 45
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Tori (last edited Dec 13, 2009 05:14AM) (new)

Tori Okay, now i want cupcakes too. Oh wait, I'm having cake later. :) And yes! The beach is amazing! I love it. So glad i live close to it. Sounds cute, i'll have to read it.
~T

Cara I now right it's so tempting! Well I have had a lot of cake lately but not cupcakes:(
It is cute and I so envy you! You live by a beach. I never have. I've been to one but I know it's not the same. This book talks about it so much I just wanted to hop on some sort of vehicle (plane, car, etc.) to get to one. *sigh* I want to many things.

message 3: by Tori (new)

Tori Man, i would die if i had to move away from it. I love the beach so much.
~T

Cara *fuming with envy* One of my new years resolution is going to be to see a beach! It's ridiculous that I've hardly been exposed. At least someone gets to enjoy it;)

message 5: by Tori (new)

Tori That's me. :D And yes, that is a very good resolution. Or spring break!
~T

Cara We'll see how it goes...:)

message 7: by Tori (new)

Tori Hopefully well. Just remember the sunblock. :) You don't know how many times i've been burned like a.. Idk, something really burned.
~T

Cara ha ha ha:D Nope I won't forget!

message 9: by Tori (new)

Tori :)

message 10: by Sage (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sage I thought we were talking about the book not the beach

message 11: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara It's called getting sidetracked:D Very fun as you can see.

message 12: by Tori (new)

Tori Very fun. We do it a lot actually.

message 13: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Way too much:D

message 14: by Tori (new)

Tori Yeah, but it's still fun. :)

message 15: by Sonia (last edited May 18, 2012 08:00PM) (new) - added it

Sonia The cupcakes on the cover look delicious! I haven't read many books with Art playing a huge role but I enjoy them. I hope I love this as much as you do. Great review as always, Cara! :-)

message 16: by Cara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cara Thanks Sonia;) I think you'll enjoy it because really who can't enjoy a good cupcake?:D