Max Anadon's Reviews > The Gods Themselves

The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov

Dec 12, 09

Read in December, 2009

** spoiler alert ** The first non Foundation series Asimov book I read, and I quite enjoyed it. The book is divided into three sections that are interesting in themselves, and easy to see their relationship at the end.

The first part mainly follows Peter Lamont in his attempt to topple the scientific giant Frederick Hallam. Hallam was known as the Father of the Electron Pump, the machine that changed the world by providing free energy via a transfer of elements with a parallel universe that is assumed to have alternate physical laws. What the world didn't recognize was that Hallam didn't actually create the Pump, but more followed instructions from the para-universe. And Lamont is sure that continued use of the Pump will cause the sun to explode...

The second part is the story from the alien perspective in the para-universe. Hard Ones, Soft Ones, Triads. Dua, the Emotional of the triad, tries to communicate to us and tell us the Pump is indeed bad...but the Pump is needed for their dying world, and when our sun explodes, energy will be available for a millenia... I liked this part the best, appreciating the creation of an alien world and beings. Nice finish to the section that was somewhat easy to see coming, but still enjoyable.

Third part on the moon. Benjamin Denison, a brilliant young scientist at one time (much brighter than Hallam), indirectly pushed Hallam to his 'discoveries' through humiliation and belittleling. With Hallam's rise, Denison's future was doomed. Decades later he moves to the moon, looking for redemption. A tourist guide Lunarite (and Intuitionist), Selene, befriends him (although there are some alterior motives with her Lunarite companion Barron Neville). With the help of Selene, Denison follows the lead of Lamont to research the impending doom. Asimov's imagination is on show with details of the moon, physiology of the Lunarites (moon born), and the culture differences between Earthies and Lunies. He even has a part of water being found on the moon. Also enjoyable for me was Denison and Selene's relationship which reminded me of Hari Seldon and Dors from Prelude to Foundation. I like the closure in this and the other Asimov I've read so far.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gods Themselves.