Arlene Allen's Reviews > Walking a Literary Labryinth

Walking a Literary Labryinth by Nancy M. Malone

Aug 19, 11

bookshelves: memoir-biography
Read in December, 2009

I don't often read books in one sitting, but I stayed up until after 2 am to finish this one. It spoke to me on so many levels.

First, she shares my love of fiction and my apprecition of the form as a valid way to experience the world. Interestingly enough, my husband took an English class a few months ago, and the first essay he had to review was about how reading a book is like a conversation. In that author's opinion, only academic non-fiction was worthy of even being considered a book. I found it snobby and both my husband and I disagreed with his theory.

Miss Malone, on the other hand, proposes the same theory -- that reading a book is a conversation, only she includes fiction. Not only did I "get it" when she presented it, I felt I was actually having a conversation with her. I don't usually feel compelled to write in books, but I wrote in this one!

Miss Malone is also a believer in the right book coming into a person's life at the right time. I have had this book on my shelf for quite awhile, but this was certainly the right moment for me to be reading it. She candidly talks about her addiction to pills and her alcoholism. Until this point in my life I could not have understood what she went through. After the events of my life in this past year, not only do I understand but empathize with her.

Overall I felt such a sense of a "kindred spirit" with this author and her words about reading. It has had a huge impact on me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walking a Literary Labryinth.