Brittany Sweeney's Reviews > Guinea Pig Scientists: Bold Self-Experimenters in Science and Medicine

Guinea Pig Scientists by Mel Boring

Dec 09, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, scientific
I own a copy

This non-fiction novel explores scientists from Horace Wells, the inventor of laughing gas, to Marie Curie and her and her husband's discovery of radium as a way of combating cancer. This book is perfect for a young mind that is constantly excited by the idea of an experiment, although it should be read with caution, and not by kids who don't understand the dangers of self-experimentation. The guninea pigs in this book are often the scientists themselves, and in the name of science, many of these men and women gave their lives to save thousands of others.' What we do learn by the end is that no new knowledge comes without a price, and that the world is full of questions that need to be answered. Interesting while simultaneously being intelligent, this book is a good read for those interested in how certain things we have today, such as vaccines and laughing gas, came into being and the sacrifice involved with each discovery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guinea Pig Scientists.