Marts (Thinker)'s Reviews > Essays (Everyman's Library

Essays (Everyman's Library by Francis Bacon

Dec 09, 2009

bookshelves: essays, audio-books

In 'Essays', Francis Bacon focuses on a range of topics of a philosophical nature encompassing Truth, Death, Religion, Atheism, Travel, the Supernatural, Council, Envy, etc.

On Council he says, 'the greatest trust between man and man is the trust of giving council'.

Of Envy he speaks of envy being 'an affection to both facinate and bewitch' he goes on to speak of it 'coming easily to the eye especially upon the presence of the object'.

On Atheism he speaks about 'this universal frame' possessing a mind.

The text is logical and pragmatic in nature.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Essays (Everyman's Library.

Amada That was one of my favorite lines in his essays, the counsel between two individuals. I relate it to close friends sharing intimate details of their life or the trust you have one you go to a counselor. In both cases, it is the ultimate betrayal for that person to use what you have said in great trust against you, or to make fun of what you have entrusted with them.

I really loved his book. But looking at some of the comments, not too many people would agree. I think the man was ahead of his time and his words still hold truth today and we can still utilize his teachings today.