The Rainbow Zebra's Reviews > Pug Hill

Pug Hill by Alison Pace

Sep 07, 10

bookshelves: 2010, animals, chick-lit, romance-erotica-adults-only, art-music-drama, humor
Recommended to The Rainbow Zebra by: my love for pugs
Recommended for: pug lovers, women, chick-lit lovers
Read from July 09 to September 07, 2010 , read count: 1

I, like the main character of "Pug Hill" not only adore pugs, but want one for my own. I will own one someday, hopefully soon, but until then, I found myself living vicariously though Alison Pace's humorous romance.

Told by Hope McAlister, she is faced with a terror-inducing task--giving a speech at her parents' 40th anniversary party. Her life has been shaped by her fear of public speaking so although she hesitantly agrees, her world is thrown upsidedown. The remedy--a class for overcoming speech anxiety.

The beginning of the book comes off very much like so many chick-lit novels do. But as Hope begins to really take her comfort zone outside the box, it gained even more of my interest.

My only criticism that would have taken away half a star was the author's overuse of commas and the word "actually". My great-grandma loved using commas that way, so I forgave Pace.

Then ending--which I will not give away--earned back the half star and made this one of my favorite reads for 2010. Now if only there were a Pug Hill near me...

***Exciting update! After sending my review to Alison Pace, she let me know she is currently working on the sequel to Pug Hill, due June 2011! SQUEE!***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pug Hill.

08/30/2010 page 83
26.0% "Love pugs, don't have one yet--reading about a person who loves pugs, doesn't have one yet LOL"
09/02/2010 page 134
42.0% "I like this book, really. But her overuse of commas and the word "actually" are irritating, like little bitty speed bumps while reading."