new_user's Reviews > Moon Craving

Feb 07, 10

bookshelves: historical, paranormal-romance
Recommended for: PNR fans
Read from February 04 to 07, 2010

I read Moon Awakening , the first book in this series, but Moon Craving still managed to surprise me. Moon Craving follows Abigail, whom readers may remember as the deaf sister to the heroine from book one. Well, she gets her hero here, and what a winding road that is.

Craving features some misunderstandings and the circuitious, mercilessly nit-picking dialogue that I'm coming to understand as Lucy Monroe's habit, but the conversations were more relevant here and there were fewer point-by-point analyses by characters ("You said this, but what I meant... She said... He said..."). Constantly referencing dialogue from the past -even if from moments ago- tends to weaken a novel.

Mostly, however, the misunderstandings did not keep Abigail and Talorc apart, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that we follow Abigail and clan (and pack) leader Talorc as they get to know one another. Talorc could be controlling at points, but he would usually follow that with something pretty sensitive and less caveman, LOL. When Abigail witholds something from him at one point, his hurt and that of his pack members reminded me of another certain paranormal romance series with sensitive souls and a brotherhood of warriors, LOL.

Craving borrows a lot of the fun elements of PNR, like sensitive, possessive and protective alpha men, secret werewolf traditions in the wild highlands, and sneaky werewolves living among men. That was one of the fun parts of this book, the covert glances and messages as the clan leader tried to keep his nature and huge pack (see clan) a secret from his new English wife. The poor woman is living among wolves! It is impossible not to sympathize with Abigail. She's gone through so much. The way her impairment is handled in the text is true to period: she is shunned even by her mother. Now at points their deception is wince-inducing. She thinks "mates" means friends and she continues to think this for some time-- but all in all, this is minor.

When Monroe intends to break with period, she usually explains her reasoning. However, the prose here was a wee bit modern at points, e.g. "Okay, until this trip, Talorc had not heard him do so in years" and responding "'Um . . . no?'" There was some inconsistency here and there. Other than that, however, the prose flows very simply and easily, as do the scenes. This is a quick read.

There are wolfy moments in this installment too. I like that we get to see the werewolves in this series actually as wolves once in a while and their beasts are very much a part of their spirits. (Talorc refers to "his wolf," etc.)

That being said, this was definitely not clean! LOL! This was a little more risqué than the last book with a little bit of control on the part of the hero and, er, he really likes to leave his "scent" on her. You can guess what that means. I think he even nuzzled her armpit at one point. LOL. Brave, Monroe, brave. There is also a secondary non-explicit m/m romance, so this was a little bit of a daring paranormal historical romance, LOL. Overall, I enjoyed the adventures of Abigail in werewolf land, and I'll read the next! PS. These can be read as standalones, although if you think you might have trouble picking up some of the world-building, the first introduces it all a little more slowly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Craving.

02/04/2010 "I need something light with the other, LOL."
02/05/2010 "Hmm, spicy, but very virginal heroine... the prose/dialogue is oddly modern at times, LOL."
02/06/2010 "He sho is a controlling fella, LOL."
02/07/2010 "Aw, Talorc... ;_;"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

MelissaB I have this one waiting for me, hopefully it's good!

new_user I hope so too! I'll let you know how it goes! :)

MelissaB Nice review new user! I understand what you are saying about her writing but I hope the story itself is enough to overcome that. It sounds very interesting, I think this just got pushed to the top of the TBR pile!

new_user I think the story did overcome it, Melissa. Can't wait to hear what you think! :)

message 5: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Your review has made me even more excited to read the next book! This looks like a fun series.

new_user It is! Sometimes silly fun! ;)