All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Street Magic

May 19, 11

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in May, 2011

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

STREET MAGIC is one of the best series launches I’ve read in a long time. It really just scrapes the surface of this world and these characters, and yet Wow does it pack a punch. The writing is tight and specific. We don’t ever get bogged down with physical descriptions of people and places, but I still know exactly what everyone looks like and I felt very much like I’d visited all the London locations in STREET MAGIC. The plot is suitably sinister with a supernatural evil that every fiber of your being will long to destroy, but it’s the relationship between Pete and Jack that really sets this book apart.

Jack Winter is a new favorite character for me, and I say character rather than romantic lead because there is very little romantic about him. He’s a complete train wreck of a person. The first time Pete sees him after a dozen years, he’s an emaciated heroin junkie who lets fly a string of hyper crude profanity the moment he sees her. It’s not exactly a meet-cute. With a handful of vitally important exceptions, Jack stays pretty much at that level of hostile wretchedness throughout the book. What does change is how we as readers perceive him as we learn more about him. No matter how many times he falls, Pete refuses to give up on him. She sees something worth saving and so do I.

And I can’t forget Pete. She’s an amazingly tenacious woman. The realities she has to come face to face with in STREET MAGIC would have destroyed a weaker person, but she keeps getting back up, keeps fighting. She’s not some Amazon warrior chick either. She works with her strengths and is aware of her weaknesses, but isn’t afraid to get hurt.

If the debut is any indication, the Black London series is a must read. A dark and twisted urban fantasy set in a London filled with truly evil demons, fae and malevolent magic users. The characters are broken in every possible way and yet they completely resonated with me. I’m thoroughly invested in them so that it’s not a question of if I’ll be reading the rest of the series, it’s a question of how soon can I get caught up. The 4th installment, DEVIL’S BUSINESS, will be published on August 30, 2011.

Sexual Content:
Kissing. Pervasive crude sexual dialogue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Street Magic.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee Love this series! And, it just gets better and better with each book, I think. Tenacious is a great way to describe Pete. She just never gives up, especially wrt Jack, who gets more complex and fascinating as the series progresses.

I turned my husband on to the series, and now he's totally hooked, too. After reading the first book, we've begun listening to the audiobooks, which are really great productions.

I really liked your review! :-)

All Things Urban Fantasy Thanks Renee. Glad to hear this series just gets better. I might have to try the audiobooks too :)

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee All Things Urban Fantasy wrote: "…I might have to try the audiobooks too :)"

The narrator really captures Pete's voice, and also does a great Jack.
Here's the Demon Bound pg at Audible. There's an audio sample link just below the book cover if you want to hear the narrator.

All Things Urban Fantasy Renee wrote: "All Things Urban Fantasy wrote: "…I might have to try the audiobooks too :)"

The narrator really captures Pete's voice, and also does a great Jack.
Here's the Demon Bound pg at Audible. There's an..."

Thanks. I'll check it out.