Ramie's Reviews > Moonshine

Moonshine by Rob Thurman

Jan 12, 10

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in January, 2010

In book 2 of the Cal Leandros series we find Cal, Niko, and Promise settling into a fairly comfortable life. They've started a new business. The Auphe are all but gone. Niko and Promise are discovering one another. Life seems good. And then George goes missing, apparently taken by one of their own clients. They'll have to find a crown that he wants or lose George for good. Oh and maybe the Auphe aren't as gone as they thought.

It's a well written series, one which I'll continue to read. Still, like book one, I feel as though something is missing with the supporting cast. I know that it's the Cal Leandros series and yet there are supporting characters so why do I care about Promise? George? We get so little time getting to know them -- at least in books one and two (I've not yet read any further). We do get to know Robin, a little. Even Flay, who I am guessing isn't meant to be seen after this book and who mostly grunts out partial sentences, had more of a chance to show us his character than some of the more long term characters have had. Sure we know that Promise had her share of husbands and can fight along side the brothers, but beyond that we see very little of her personality. Same with George. She's a psychic. Okay. Cal loves her -- why? Her looks? Because she's different too? They definitely don't get to speak for more than a minute here and there, at least not that we see.

It's the fact that those supporting characters seem to be neglected that I have to give these books 4 instead of 5 stars so far. But, even while feeling as though I missing out on getting the full story with those characters, there's still plenty to keep me coming back for more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonshine.