Kristen's Reviews > Sisters Red

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Jun 11, 10

bookshelves: fairy-tales, paranormal-fantasy, romance-y, youngadult, signed, own-it
Read in March, 2010

I hold a special place in my heart for books that are more like the folktales of old than the Disney version of stories. In this book, Fenris are not nice, happy or cuddly werewolves that you fall in love with - oh no. They literally hunt and eat teenage girls - no joke. But Scarlett and Rosie are not about to let them harm innocent girls if they can help it. I loved the dichotomy of the two sisters - Scarlett is stronger than the Rosie physically but afraid to live outside of fighting and Rosie is strong as well - but in a different way. Yes, she has the strength to fight, but she needs a normal life - one outside of the loss and violence they have suffered together.

The presence of a male character almost cushions the story - developing a little romance but not an unrealistic one. Silas has been a presence in the sisters' lives for a long time and he suffers facing his own role as well. He was born and raised a Woodsman - but he doesn't want to be stuck in the woods and searches out a new life. Also, he creates a sense of stability when needed in the story - saving Scarlett and Rosie at equal intervals but the novel never suggests them to be "damsels in distress".

Combine some fantastic characters with a simple and direct plotline - one that yes, does have it's twists and turns but is basic enough to understand what is going on - and you've got a winner of a book. I love my female leads as strong characters and this is exactly what Pearce has laid on the reader. Their fierce, realistic, and maybe a bit off at times - but you really grow to know them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sisters Red.