Michael's Reviews > Into the Wild

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

Mar 30, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction-or-history

I saw that a movie is being made of this. I may change my mind, but I am thinking much of the book could not be made into a movie without losing the tone. Maybe if there was a narrator? I am curious to see what they do. In brief: A non-fiction account of college age kid, Chris, who "drops out" of life, drifts around for a while, then moves to Alaska to live in the wilderness. He died there from a freak mistake. What I imagine will be lost in the movie is the perspective of the author. He did some similar things himself, and the book is about retracing his own past, as well as the story of Chris. He's my favorite non-fiction writer. The book is powerful, and sad.

Addition: The movie is excellent, and took me back to a place I thought was gone. Or had been built over. I am sitting here in New York City, of all places, deeply grateful that when I did what Chris did I was diverted just before I went all the way. My story and motivations were different in some ways, but not completely. I could have missed so many beautiful things. Missed the point. Luck, I guess. I am surprised that the movie-makers noticed too, that however far you run into the woods there are still always jet trails in the sky.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wild.