Tatiana's Reviews > The Thief

Dec 08, 2009

bookshelves: 2010, ya, fantasy, newbery, mythopoeic, 2011, 2017, favorites
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kristin Cashore
Read from September 09, 2011 to January 07, 2017

Update 6/2011. Let me just say, if you feel so-so about this book (like I did), please give its sequel - The Queen of Attolia - a try. It made me forever and ever a dedicated fan of the series.

I have mixed feelings about this book. I enjoyed it, but I think I spoiled the experience for myself a little bit.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

02/01 page 14
09/10 page 102
36.0% 5 comments
02/26 marked as: read
01/01 marked as: to-read
01/01 marked as: currently-reading
01/01 page 38
13.0% "Starting this new year right, with a reread of my old favorite." 2 comments
01/07 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Catie Wish I had read this review before reading the book...because that's exactly what I did. I spent the whole book searching for clues.

message 2: by Tatiana (last edited Mar 27, 2011 08:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tatiana I hope you will try the 2nd book in the series. I have come to adore them all.

Catie I checked them all out of the library at the same time, so onward I go!

Virag The whole Queen's Theif series is for sale at under $4 at my bookstore. Would you say it's worth it to buy them all, or rather just check them out from the library?

Tatiana It is worth much more than $4 for me. I LOVE these books. But, of course, IDK if you would like them as much.

Virag I meant that each seperate book is between $3-4, not the whole series fore just $4. (that would be too cheap, lol). Still, 4 books for under $15 is a really good deal, and based on the reviews my friends/people I'm following gave, I'd probably really like them.

Emily May I really want to read this! But I think whoever has it on loan at my local library liked it so much that they've done a runner with it. It's about 2 months past it's due date! LOL, think I might have to stop being cheap and buy it :)

Tatiana Glad to know these books reached UK. They are like little hidden gems. I adore them.

message 9: by Oz (new) - added it

Oz I want to read it and Bloody Jack omg why am I not near any Asda's.

Emily May Do they sell this in Asda?

message 11: by Oz (new) - added it

Oz i think so :/ I know Waterstones doesn't sell Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer but Asda does. In fact searching last night it's really hard to find these books under £5.

Just searched
They used to though

Emily May Hmm, I'm going to Asda later so I'll see what I can find... good thing is their books are always relatively cheap.

message 13: by Oz (new) - added it

Oz Yes that's the reason why I like it. Let me know if you have any luck.

Jamie Dacyczyn Yes, buy them all for that price, and be sure to read them in order. These are my favorite books. My car's license plate is ATTOLIA.

Tatiana Jamie wrote: "Yes, buy them all for that price, and be sure to read them in order. These are my favorite books. My car's license plate is ATTOLIA."

That's so awesome, Jamie:)

message 16: by mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

mia Thank you very much for this review. I already knew that was *something* in the plot, so when it came I did like it but it wasnt so great because I've spend the whole time waiting for it. But if you say that we should try the sequel I trust you :)

message 17: by Aiko (new)

Aiko Didnt know that the first paragraphs couched a spoiler. Poof.

Jamie Dacyczyn I made a petition to try to get "The Thief" and "The Queen of Attolia" republished with these beautiful new covers, but in HARDCOVER to match the later books. Please sign here! http://chn.ge/SklJ5W

Jason Interesting review. It does make me consider more strongly reading the sequel, though I thought this book was nothing special.
I don't really care too much for the writing, the thief, or the world. And I don't think Cashore is anything special either.

Tatiana All I can say is that I LOVED Queen of Attolia. The rest is up to you.

message 21: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa M. Green I have the EXACT same feelings about this book. It was pretty good, but not fantastic (the writing is wonderful though). It's weird how her understated style keeps everything flowing. Finished the series. LOVED the next two books. This one is good, but not as good as 2 and 3.

message 22: by Hona (new)

Hona honestly, you did the exact same thing that other reviews did for you. thanks. that thanks was sarcastic btw