Tatiana's Reviews > The Thief

Sep 12, 11

bookshelves: 2010, ya, fantasy, ala-ya-1997, newbery, mythopoeic, 2011
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kristin Cashore
Read from September 09 to 12, 2011

Update 6/2011. Let me just say, if you feel so-so about this book (like I did), please give its sequel - The Queen of Attolia - a try. It made me forever and ever a dedicated fan of the series.

I have mixed feelings about this book. I enjoyed it, but I think I spoiled the experience for myself a little bit.

The reviewers like to point to a huge twist at the end of the story as the biggest reason for enjoying this book. But if you know in advance that you should expect something, it is very easy to pick up clues on the way and figure out the big secret fairly quickly. I think this anticipation of the big reveal threw me off a bit and I ended up a little underwhelmed when the ending finally came.

What I should have concentrated on is the writing, because it is superb. Turner shows a great command of English language, there is simply no word wasted in this story. Turner's books are highly recommended by Kristin Cashore, a great YA fantasy writer. In fact, the sentence structure, the tightness and simplicity of "The Thief" reminded me of "Graceling," only Turner is definitely a stronger writer.

I also liked the thief himself. Gen is a funny, sneaky and extremely unreliable narrator, who holds a lot back and while he tells the story in his own words, he remains very anonymous throughout his adventures. I thought it was a very interesting way to write a book.

Overall, I enjoyed this book, enough to want to read the consequent novels. However my advice would be - don't waste your time searching for clues and anticipating the huge climax and just enjoy the great writing and skillfully built fantasy world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

02/01/2010 page 14
09/10/2011 page 102
36.0% 5 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catie Wish I had read this review before reading the book...because that's exactly what I did. I spent the whole book searching for clues.

message 2: by Tatiana (last edited Mar 27, 2011 08:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tatiana I hope you will try the 2nd book in the series. I have come to adore them all.

Catie I checked them all out of the library at the same time, so onward I go!

Virag The whole Queen's Theif series is for sale at under $4 at my bookstore. Would you say it's worth it to buy them all, or rather just check them out from the library?

Tatiana It is worth much more than $4 for me. I LOVE these books. But, of course, IDK if you would like them as much.

Virag I meant that each seperate book is between $3-4, not the whole series fore just $4. (that would be too cheap, lol). Still, 4 books for under $15 is a really good deal, and based on the reviews my friends/people I'm following gave, I'd probably really like them.

Emily May I really want to read this! But I think whoever has it on loan at my local library liked it so much that they've done a runner with it. It's about 2 months past it's due date! LOL, think I might have to stop being cheap and buy it :)

Tatiana Glad to know these books reached UK. They are like little hidden gems. I adore them.

message 9: by Oz (new) - added it

Oz I want to read it and Bloody Jack omg why am I not near any Asda's.

Emily May Do they sell this in Asda?

message 11: by Oz (new) - added it

Oz i think so :/ I know Waterstones doesn't sell Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer but Asda does. In fact searching last night it's really hard to find these books under £5.

Just searched
They used to though

Emily May Hmm, I'm going to Asda later so I'll see what I can find... good thing is their books are always relatively cheap.

message 13: by Oz (new) - added it

Oz Yes that's the reason why I like it. Let me know if you have any luck.

Jamie Yes, buy them all for that price, and be sure to read them in order. These are my favorite books. My car's license plate is ATTOLIA.

Tatiana Jamie wrote: "Yes, buy them all for that price, and be sure to read them in order. These are my favorite books. My car's license plate is ATTOLIA."

That's so awesome, Jamie:)

message 16: by mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

mia Thank you very much for this review. I already knew that was *something* in the plot, so when it came I did like it but it wasnt so great because I've spend the whole time waiting for it. But if you say that we should try the sequel I trust you :)

message 17: by Aiko (new)

Aiko Didnt know that the first paragraphs couched a spoiler. Poof.

Jamie I made a petition to try to get "The Thief" and "The Queen of Attolia" republished with these beautiful new covers, but in HARDCOVER to match the later books. Please sign here! http://chn.ge/SklJ5W

Jason Interesting review. It does make me consider more strongly reading the sequel, though I thought this book was nothing special.
I don't really care too much for the writing, the thief, or the world. And I don't think Cashore is anything special either.

Tatiana All I can say is that I LOVED Queen of Attolia. The rest is up to you.