Jennifer's Reviews > The Kind Diet: A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the Planet

The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone

Jan 09, 10

bookshelves: health-diet
Read in January, 2010

I liked this book because it made me look at food in a different way, to think for myself using different angles. Alicia Silverstone is a super dedicated vegan and doesn't have great things to say about the foods I love, so that made it difficult to digest, no pun intended :o). But I read books like this on purpose, that are contrary to the way I eat, so that I can feel more informed. There are at least two sides to every story and the American diet is no exception. Do I just float through life believing what I'm being sold about what belongs in my body? Does marketing from various industries determine how I eat, or am I even able to decide for myself, pressure aside? I have felt for a long time that I should make a change, I just don't have the will power to do it. I live a typical American lifestyle: lazy carnivore. And I will likely die the way most of us do: heart disease, cancer, complications due to obesity, etc. Sometimes I feel like I'm just waiting to get with something awful before I make some changes in my life: drink more water, eat more fresh vegetables, lay off the sugar, etc. Vegans make a lot of really outlandish health claims...but does that mean there is no truth to them, just because they are difficult to believe? Because they go against the "grain"? Is there really a promise of better health in this strange and socially frowned upon way of eating? It has worked for my mother-in-law and my sister-in-law, they beat cancer with no medical intervention, and that's just in my small family circle...I'm sure there are others. There's only one way for me to know if this works and that's to experiment...on myself! One day, I'd like to plan meals for at least four weeks and do the veggie thing and see what happens. Will I simply DIE from lack of animal protein, will it help my migraines, will I have more energy? Well, this is a ton of introspection to write just for a book review. I didn't agree with every assertion she made, but like I said before, the challenge alone helps me think about what I do believe and why. I encourage you to read it. And if you don't like then that only means you really NEED to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kind Diet.