Rin Simpson's Reviews > The First Wives Club

The First Wives Club by Olivia Goldsmith

Dec 08, 09

Synopsis: Three former college friends are reunited by the death of the fourth member of their group, who commits suicide when her husband replaces her with a younger model. As 'first wives' themselves, they come together to form a club which has just one important goal - revenge.

Review: If you've seen the film of this book, forget it - save for the name and one or two basic plot points, they're completely different animals. While the film is a laugh-a-minute comedy, albeit with a good heart, the book is much slower, more gentle, less 'neat' in its tying up of loose ends and generally more like real life. It's also a fantastic read. Although I was much younger and unmarried when I read it, I found I could relate to the emotions of the three central characters as they dealt with the indignities of being the older, first, disposed-of wife, watching their former husbands move on to newer models. There's still plenty of humour here, but there are tears too, and a strong sense of sisterhood. What I took away from this book was a fresh understanding of what incredible survivors women are.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Wives Club.