Tina's Reviews > Greenwitch

Greenwitch by Susan Cooper

Dec 09, 09

Read in December, 2009

Greenwitch brings together the Drew children of Over Sea, Under Stone and Will Stanton of The Dark Is Rising. The Drew children have to deal with many things, the theft of the hard won grail, Great-uncle Merry bringing this other child with, and the fact that Merry and Will clearly have something in common that the Drews don’t understand. There is clearly…something about Barney, but it’s not clear what. He can’t be an old one, being younger than the “last one”. However, if anyone could have looked into the oil in grail and spoken to the kidnapper, then why kidnap a child you know is protected by an old one?
In Over Sea, Under Stone Great-uncle Merry explained that neither dark nor light could win the war forever because inside every man is a bit of both. In Greenwitch we see the addition of a third power, Wild Magic, allowed by “the law” to give aid to neither side, but able to help man. I have never read the series before, so I am able to make all sorts of probably unfounded conjectures about what might happen in the penultimate or ultimate book, I would like to see more Wild Magic before the end as the amoral aspect of it provides the grey area that the natures of light and dark do not allow them to provide.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Greenwitch.