Kathleen Dixon's Reviews > Missionary Methods: St. Paul's or Our's?

Missionary Methods by Roland Allen

Dec 28, 09

bookshelves: 100, religion-and-spirituality
Read in December, 2009

As the title makes clear, this book seeks to contrast the modern missionary methods (of the early 1900s, that is) with those of St Paul. He looks at it in depth, destroys any of the arguments that say we couldn’t do it Paul’s way because .. ad because …, and lambastes the whole system that has caused missionary work to have to be maintained from the ‘home’ countries.

I can’t say I know much about the current state of missionary work, though I remember being astounded that there were missionaries in the Philippines, a country that is pretty much Catholic. And we know, of course, that the Mormons send missionaries here to New Zealand. I suppose we do have quite a low number of Christians here, but it’s not because the gospel hasn’t been presented to the people. And surely that’s what missionary work is about – taking the gospel to those who haven’t heard it. I guess the intention is different now – it’s either a desperate attempt to Save everyone in the world, or it’s about making sure people have the Right denomination.

Paul travelled to tell about Jesus. He himself had had such an experience that convinced him that Jesus was the promised Messiah, who had come for all the world. He preached and he talked, and he set down churches of those who believed. He remained in touch with advice and love, but he didn’t attempt to control. That all came later – and has continued ever since.

An interesting book, and it has given me much to think about concerning trust – trust that others can be given the freedom to apply the moral lessons and the Way of Christ; and trust in the Divine Plan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Missionary Methods.

12/24/2009 page 127