Nicholas Whyte's Reviews > The Locus Awards: Thirty Years of the Best in Science Fiction and Fantasy

The Locus Awards by Charles N. Brown

Oct 21, 2007

http://nhw.livejournal.com/197044.html[return][return]This is a totally superb collection. OK, $15.95 for 500 pages paperback may seem a bit pricy, but the quality of the stories really justifies it. Of the 18 stories, I had read eight previously - the six that have won both Hugo and Nebula (as well as the Locus Award, a precondition for inclusion), and also Sterling's "Maneki Neko" and Le Guin's "The Day Before The Revolution". The other ten are all classics which I should have read years ago and somehow hadn't:[return][return]"The Death of Doctor Island" by Gene Wolfe[return]"The Way of Cross and Dragon", by George R.R. Martin[return]"Souls" by Joanna Russ[return]"The Only Neat Thing to Do", by James Tiptree Jr - possibly the weakest story in the collection, I thought, but still very good[return]"Rachel In Love", by Pat Murphy[return]"The Scale-Hunter's Beautiful Daughter", by Lucius Shepard[return]"Buffalo", by John Kessel[return]"Gone", by John Crowley[return]"Border Guards", by Greg Egan[return]"October in the Chair", by Neil Gaiman[return][return]Go out and buy it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Locus Awards.