K's Reviews > Soon I Will Be Invincible

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman

Oct 23, 07

Recommended for: anyone, esp. people who like Venture Bros.
Read in October, 2007

Picked up this book because Jackson Publick, creator/writer of the Venture Bros. series recommended it on his blog.

A superhero novel that switches narrative viewpoints b/w supervillain and new superhero. It is more melancholy and internal than comic/action-packed, though all those aspects are present.

Had following emotional reaction
15% - admiration for Grossman's approach to these old themes
15% - amusement at cleverness
15% - outright snickering
20% - sadness
25% - not reacting because nothing too emotional is happening
10% - not liking something

Quotes I liked:

"Blackwolf's [Batman equivalent] neck is in a simple collar welded to the wall. No lock to pick, or chain to break. He can't even sit down. It's like Doctor Impossible is making fun of his lack of powers. Any of the rest of us could have broken it in a second...

Blackwolf strains at the collar for a second, then gives up. 'That's it. Now I'll never avenge my brother and sister. Fuck!" (240)

Doctor Impossible (super villain): "Even if I turned myself in, it wouldn't change anything. It wouldn't make me one of them. I knew that when I got my powers, but really I knew it before then. I learned it as a child on my first day of school, on the warm rainy streets of Bangkok, and in college. If you're different you always know it, and you can't fix it even if you want to. What do you do when you find out your heart is the wrong kind? You take what you're given, and be the hero you can be. Hero to your own cold, inverted heart." (74)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soon I Will Be Invincible.

Quotes K Liked

Austin Grossman
“Even if I turned myself in, it wouldn't change anything. It wouldn't make me one of them. I knew that when I got my powers, but really I knew it before then. I learned it as a child on my first day of school, on the warm rainy streets of Bangkok, and in college. If you're different you always know it, and you can't fix it even if you want to. What do you do when you find out your heart is the wrong kind? You take what you're given, and be the hero you can be. Hero to your own cold, inverted heart.”
Austin Grossman, Soon I Will Be Invincible